What breed of horse did they use...

I raise, breed, show (a little) Belgian draft horses. I also do "color commentary" at a number of draft shows around the country. I am also a part time auctioneer and have workded some of the large breeder sales. In addtion, my parents were Amish until about the time of my birth and still live in the community in ILL. I have done a fair amount of research on this subject.
All of the major breeds were started in other countries
Belgian - Belgium
Perceron-France
Clydesdale - Scotland
Shire - England
There are of course other draft breeds but these are the top 4 by a wide margin. In terms of numbers in this country they are in the order I have placed them. For many years in this country farmers used relatively small wiry horses for all farm work. We all know that George Washington was given a gift of a mammoth Donkey so we could start to breed mules. Some of the biggest and best working draft mules are in the Amish country in Pa. I have seen some awesome animals there.

It was not until the mid to late 1800"s that we began to import draft stallions into this country to cross on those tough farm horses. We needed larger and larger machinery and farmers were increasing acerage as the popluation became less rural. In general there were far more stallions than mares imported and the pure bred stock in general was restricted to relatively few farms. Many of the university's in fact kept breeding barns. Some of the Amish breeders in the Midwest were given some of this stock from the Universities. The tractor had clearly taken over as the preferred means of tilling soil and the big Ag colleges were getting rid of their horses.

The draft industry suffered terribly when the tractor took over. Had it not been for Amish farmers and breeders we would have very few drafts today. The draft horses are changing to be far more leggy and "showy" than the earlier horses

In general (very general) when the purebred horses in early 1900's
on farms and in cities, the percherons and belgians were used on farms and Clyde and Shires ewre used in the cities for hauling freight. The long feather on the Clyde and Shire could create some problems on the farms during mud season. The Suffolk Punch is also an awesome draft horse not as big as the rest, but known for soundness and disposition.

Draft's today are a huge hobby breed as well as used very seriously on Amish farms for farming. The Amish are some of the premier breeders of the Belgian and Percheron horses. I do not know of a serious Amish breeder of either Clyde, Shire or Suffolk. I would imagine they exist I am just not aware of any.

The highest priced Draft stallion to ever sell publicly was a Belgian horse about 4 years ago 105,000 dollars. Just recently at one of the large breeder sales a Percheron mare sold publicly for 84,000. I beleive that is the record for a draft female at public auction.

Hope I have not bored you all with this long post. Draft horses are a real passion of mine

Well, if youre thinking of getting a horse to make things more economical, DO NOT haha. Between regular shots, worming, shoeing, feed, etc, a tractor is wayyyy cheaper. Thats not even mentioning all the trouble they get into, and the longgg mid night hours spent with the expensive vet at the stable.

Very true. I've been assuming that this has been speculation.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It is speculation (if speculation is what I think it is).

I raise, breed, show (a little) Belgian draft horses. I also do "color commentary" at a number of draft shows around the country. I am also a part time auctioneer and have workded some of the large breeder sales. In addtion, my parents were Amish until about the time of my birth and still live in the community in ILL. I have done a fair amount of research on this subject.
All of the major breeds were started in other countries
Belgian - Belgium
Perceron-France
Clydesdale - Scotland
Shire - England
There are of course other draft breeds but these are the top 4 by a wide margin. In terms of numbers in this country they are in the order I have placed them. For many years in this country farmers used relatively small wiry horses for all farm work. We all know that George Washington was given a gift of a mammoth Donkey so we could start to breed mules. Some of the biggest and best working draft mules are in the Amish country in Pa. I have seen some awesome animals there.

It was not until the mid to late 1800"s that we began to import draft stallions into this country to cross on those tough farm horses. We needed larger and larger machinery and farmers were increasing acerage as the popluation became less rural. In general there were far more stallions than mares imported and the pure bred stock in general was restricted to relatively few farms. Many of the university's in fact kept breeding barns. Some of the Amish breeders in the Midwest were given some of this stock from the Universities. The tractor had clearly taken over as the preferred means of tilling soil and the big Ag colleges were getting rid of their horses.

The draft industry suffered terribly when the tractor took over. Had it not been for Amish farmers and breeders we would have very few drafts today. The draft horses are changing to be far more leggy and "showy" than the earlier horses

In general (very general) when the purebred horses in early 1900's
on farms and in cities, the percherons and belgians were used on farms and Clyde and Shires ewre used in the cities for hauling freight. The long feather on the Clyde and Shire could create some problems on the farms during mud season. The Suffolk Punch is also an awesome draft horse not as big as the rest, but known for soundness and disposition.

Draft's today are a huge hobby breed as well as used very seriously on Amish farms for farming. The Amish are some of the premier breeders of the Belgian and Percheron horses. I do not know of a serious Amish breeder of either Clyde, Shire or Suffolk. I would imagine they exist I am just not aware of any.

The highest priced Draft stallion to ever sell publicly was a Belgian horse about 4 years ago 105,000 dollars. Just recently at one of the large breeder sales a Percheron mare sold publicly for 84,000. I beleive that is the record for a draft female at public auction.

Hope I have not bored you all with this long post. Draft horses are a real passion of mine

Very good info, and it didn't bore me at all! I love draft horses and whenever I can get info on them I read it!​

In defense of Morgans, The 'old style' Morgan does exist.
Morgans went from plow to carriage and were highly sought for their virtues of strength, athletic ability, endurance, versatility, temperament and economy [easy keepers]. As with any breed descending from a single stallion outcrosses will appear when traced back far enough.

There are 4 families of Morgans:
Lippitt line is a group of Morgans who trace back to Figure on a maximum number of lines with a minimum of know outcrosses to other breeds, no crosses to the saddlebred

Old Government was established in 1905 to produce horses with the typical Morgan type and virtues while increasing size.

Brunk established in 1893 they are known for their high action, and all around athletic ability. Their influence is mostly felt in the Western Working family.

Western Working developed between 1880 and 1950 from ranches looking to develop a tough, agile, cow savvy horse to work the ranches of thousand of acres of rugged open range. Western working was developed from a combination of old Vermont, Government, Brunk and old midwest bloodline tracing back to Black Hawk with some thoroughbred influence

facinating
pop.gif

Quote:
Very true. I've been assuming that this has been speculation.

Thats assuming you already OWN the tractor and can repair it yourself. Then it might be cheaper.

You know it costs all of 2000 bucks to get certified as a ferrier? And you can usually get your vet to show you how to give intramuscular vaccines, which you can buy through suppliers or even TSC. Pretty decent return on such an investment if you're planning on a career or life with horses.

A horse is never ever going to be cheaper in my humble opinion
smile.png
They are stunning and if I owned a farm I would use drafts just for the fun and unique factor, but you have to take into account that horses go lame etc, leaving you unable to plow your land for a while, or causing you to miss harvest. They must be properly trained (tons more money), or if you buy a pre-trained horse its expensive. They injure themselves in the most talented ways, requiring stitches. I give my horse shots often, but I can't float her teeth or put on her shoes. A horse also has a work span, and then you must (in my opinion) give it a good retirement, well fed and cared for until it goes to horse heaven. A tractor is also faster. I'm not knocking drafts, I'm just saying that they will not be more economical in the long run.

Quote:
Thats assuming you already OWN the tractor and can repair it yourself. Then it might be cheaper.

You know it costs all of 2000 bucks to get certified as a ferrier? And you can usually get your vet to show you how to give intramuscular vaccines, which you can buy through suppliers or even TSC. Pretty decent return on such an investment if you're planning on a career or life with horses.

A horse is never ever going to be cheaper in my humble opinion
smile.png
They are stunning and if I owned a farm I would use drafts just for the fun and unique factor, but you have to take into account that horses go lame etc, leaving you unable to plow your land for a while, or causing you to miss harvest. They must be properly trained (tons more money), or if you buy a pre-trained horse its expensive. They injure themselves in the most talented ways, requiring stitches. I give my horse shots often, but I can't float her teeth or put on her shoes. A horse also has a work span, and then you must (in my opinion) give it a good retirement, well fed and cared for until it goes to horse heaven. A tractor is also faster. I'm not knocking drafts, I'm just saying that they will not be more economical in the long run.

Better for the environment and much for fun to watch though!
love.gif

What "they" used depends entirely on which "they" you mean
wink.png

Quote:
But, that is not how work horses actually *were* used. Nor in most cases is it how they are used by serious horse farmers today e.g. Mennonites and Amish.

If a horse was lame for too long (lame to the point of not being able to work, that is), it went/goes bye-bye, one way or another. Work horses were/are not necessarily retired to live a long maximal lifespan as pasture ornaments, not most of them anyway.

Most serious farmers would/do train their own horses, or buy already slightly-started ones (no tons of money involved). Similarly, much farriery was/is done at home. Teeth were not done at all, but if there was a problem you paid someone to fix it once and that was it (teeth are not normally a major expense on modern-day recreational horses either).

Draft horses, especially working draft horses, are not particularly injury-prone, and again if the injury is too severe the horse is/was not necessarily kept.

Some major advantages of the horse: they can reproduce themselves (good luck getting your tractor to make baby tractors) and they can be run solely on fuel produced on-farm. Their byproducts are also useful on the farm as fertilizer. Repairs to horses and harness are also much more likely to be DIY than requiring you to send off for parts imported from Asia like tractors these days. Also the purchase price is generally lower, quite significantly lower if you're comparing to a new or large or late-model tractor.

The chief disadvantage of working with horses is that you have to feed the horse whether it's working or not, whereas you can put the tractor away for the winter and not have to spend money on it til you want to use it again. Also you have to be a decent horseman, as opposed to any fool can drive a tractor in some way shape or form. Also you can't put a loader or PTO-driven augur or generator onto a horse
tongue.png

On giant mega-industrial scale, tractors win hands-down because they are so much faster and more powerful. But on relatively small acreage, horse farming can make economic sense.

And quite obviously a lot of people do it successfully today, just look around at your nearest Mennonite/Amish/etc community.

While the horses are not pampered pets I am not convinced that on average they live worse lives than yer average pampered-pet recreational horse whose life has its own set of challenges and unfairnesses and unhealthy practices, just different ones from the working horse.

Pat

Last edited:
I've heard some farmers would use an older experienced horse to team up with a young, upcoming newbie draft horse to introduce him to working the plow. Not a bad idea but they do know some tricks up their sleeves.

As for the Morgans, I love reading the history. And yes they did use Morgans in the Civil war too! I bet Gen Lee's horse was a Morgan or Gen Sherman's Old Sorrell, too was a Morgan.

I dont know how Morgans got side tracked to be like Saddlebreds, its digusting! I love the Civil War Morgans that we see in reeanctments today and I did talk to some of their owners and they are puristists at heart. They said they buy them from old time breeders that has the OLD classic Morgan, not the Saddlebred, hotheaded ones they had seen in shows. some of them would have a little more featherings on their legs as well as stockiness in body of a true Morgan. They win my heart of a Morgan breed anytime than a "saddlebred" morgan.

Back
Top Bottom