What breed of Rabbit are mine?

fancyfowl4ever

Songster
11 Years
Mar 17, 2008
Cranbrook, BC, Canada
3 Days ago I picked up a breeding trio of Rabbits which I was told were Californians, now I read up on the breed and somehow it doesn't match my 3....... first of all Californians are supposed to be white with only nose and ears being of a different colour, my one female "Susy" is all black, "Sonic" the male is all chinchilla grey, and "Spice" the other female is a mix out of the chinchilla and black(very pretty).
According to what I could find about Californians they do not come in solid colours.........

Also I seriously think these 3 are more in the 14 lbs range then in the 10lbs, they are just huge. I will have to weigh them when I put them in their new cages(which I just put together today, since my existing ones seemed a wee bit too small for them).
Am I glad they are tame and don't mind being carried.

Any ideas on what they could be?

I will post pics as soon as I can get a few decend ones.

Anna

Not Cals that is for sure. they are white with black ears feet and tail. They are disqualified from show if any color is on any usable part of fur. They are breed for meat and fur.

Could be Flemish Giants, but hard to tell without pics. Do their ears stand up or hang down next to their heads? Did you actually weigh them? There are several big breeds, or they could be mixes. Can't wait to see their pictures.

Yes, post some pics. Also what kind of fur do they have? They might be the Gaints or a mixture. Can't wait.

Ok, so today they moved into their new cages so I weighed them, and the weights are 14 lbs and 13 - 13.5 lbs.
They have big stand up ears, and very dense, soft, fur(not rex fur tho).

Anyhow, here are photos, I am not very good with making pictures of rabbits(acctually this is my first time so bear with me). I wish I had the camera 20 minutes ago when I sat in front of their cages and they all were stretched out in the sun.

This is Sonic -
californians004.jpg

and Spice -
californians008.jpg

and Susy-
californians006.jpg

To me they all look like either same breed or at least same cross. Their babies look just like them too body wise(the previous owner had a couple of them left waiting to go in the freezer). This trio throws at least 4 colours, their own and white.

Hope this helps with determining what they are or at least what could be in the mix.

Anna

They are flemish or flemish mixes they will get to be around 20lbs but they are big babies. They do best on solid floors wire tend to give them sore hocks . Really cool rabbits but eat a ton and from what Im told food to meat conversion isnt the best.

Definitely Flemish giant or crossed with one! I have a california and a flemish and the flemish are HUGE. They look like something from a Harry Potter movie IMO. Oh, and definitely a solid floor to prevent sore hocks. Or at least a resting board on top of the wire floor. I love my bunnies!

What lovely rabbits. They do look like some sort of mix - definately not babies. If you do a search on google for Californian Rabbit some pictures pop up.

My personal opinion is to ignore the solid floor suggestion. You'll end up with just as much a problem if they don't have a way to stay out of their own feces and urine. However, the chicken wire bottom is a definate no-no.

We raised rabbits for years on welded wire mesh floors, 1"x1/2". Of course, we also kept a piece of wood in a corner for them to lay on. This gives the rabbit the best of both worlds. They can go 'do their business' over the wire but give their hocks a break on the wood.

You might want to reconsider those flakes of alfalfa. That's a bit much and if they start to use it to lay or defecate on it will quickly turn into a slimmy, stinky mess.

Good luck! Remember to always take the doe to the buck's cage to breed.

Boy, I miss my bunnies.

Back
Top Bottom