What breed of rabbit to get for the fur... what to look for

Guitartists

Resistance is futile
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Michigan
I am new to the idea of having rabbits for anything other than pets
tongue.png
I would REALLY like to get a pair of Angoras for the fiber to make my own yarn. I know we have some folks here who do just that... and since I don't have time to join a rabbit forum.. LOL... I thought I would try asking here. What type of Angora do I want? What is the difference when it comes to harvesting for fibers? What do I look for? Does it matter what color it is? What breed do you prefer? Opinions and Jersey Woolies vs. Angoras? I just want a nice tempered rabbit with abundant fiber for making yarns... please share with me so I have some starting point and am not completely without information. I will also google this, but I value the firsthand experience and opinions of my fellow BYCers!

Thanks
smile.png

Edited to add..... I am not interested in showing them... just breeding them for my own yarn hobby
smile.png
So I just need to know what I am looking for fur-wise.

Also...can you dye it? If so is it best to get white ones? Or does it get bleached first??? I have a LOT to learn....

Last edited:
I have a French angora, shes not huge has a nice personality and takes very little care as far as Angoras go. When its time for her to shed I just brush out the wool and since she stays so clean I spin it right off the brush no need for carding or any cleaning, if I am not ready to spin it right away I just store it in bags in a dry place.

I would love to get a German angora... They are big and have lots of beautiful long fur... but unfortunately I can't find a breeder nearby... I seen a german angora a couple of years back at a farm festival but the gal who had him couldn't remember who she purchased him from... She had him on display next to her knitted items that she had made to sell...

I had a sweater knitted out of rabbit angora when I was little and it was so soft and warm... I have wanted one ever since... but I really LOVE the big rabbits and fell in love with the German angora...

Color is dependant on what YOU like, wooled rabbits come in a mirad if colors, blues, creams,, whites black, smoke, the list goes on and on.

English Angoras:
beautiful fur, well bed fiber animals will have little to no matting

French Angoras, loveable to a fault,nice spinning wool.

German Angoras( giants) again well bred for fiber there will be little to no matting.

Satin Angora, beautiful high gloss sheen but if not bred to the proper furred animals a nightmare in matting,

Cross bred Angoras can be also very nice spinning rabbit. everything though comes down to breeding.
Show rabbits while they make great woolers, they are not always bred for fiber that is 100% spinnable

What I would do is honestly join a spinning forum, that is where you are going to find the best wooled animals. they are being bred for ease of grooming and spinning.

The smaller wooled breeds are cute pets and can produce spinnable wool but it would take forever to amass enough wool to be worth the effort.

Quote:
lau.gif
My DH will be like "ANOTHER forum!"
lau.gif

Any suggestions of good ones?

And thank you everyone who has posted info
smile.png
Looking at the price tags on these little beauties... I definitely want to do my homework
smile.png

There's a woman in Leslie, Mi that has English & German angoras. She advertises on Hoobly alot. We were looking at getting one, but I couldnt get DD to commit to grooming & I am WAY too busy. There are many, many rabbitries in MI. You should have a good chance of getting what you want.

That's good to know... I remember YEARS ago running into a lady who raised them and sold the yarn.... but for the life of me I cannot remember where she lived... of course, so many years ago, she may not be there anymore anyways
tongue.png
I'm just so afraid of someone selling me a rabbit that is not so good since I do not know enough about the differences in the fur. Hopefully though I will get a chance to get some hands on experience before I purchase.

Huhn. I knew that there were Angora rabbits. I just didn't know that they're are different kinds of Angora. Learn a little every day!

Suzy

old.gif

I'm a spinner and have had pet rabbits, so I looked at fiber rabbits back when we got our sheep. I always thought that some angoras were plucked and some had to be sheared, depending on the breed. Mainly, because that's what the breeders told me.
big_smile.png

I found that link interesting, because that person wrote that they even plucked their German angora. Now I'm wondering how common that is. I haven't looked at fiber rabbits in a long time, so now I'm wondering if my information is outdated or if this is just a fluke.

Back
Top Bottom