What breed of Roo should I get?

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by kyle7630, Jan 2, 2011.

1. kyle7630

kyle7630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Semora NC
    I have 11 hens. RIR's, BO's, and JG's. What would be the best breed of roo to get for my girls, and should I expect any of my girls to go broody?
  2. Rodeoclown1189

Rodeoclown1189 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2009
    East TN
    well RIR rarely go broody Buff orpingtons and JG are broody all the time well my buffs are id say a nice big buff rooster would be great seeing RIR roos are very moody and tend to get aggressive and idk about JG roosters never had one.
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
  3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    From my personal experience I prefer Speckled Sussex, EE, and barnyard (mixes) roosters
  4. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm Premium Member

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Kyle, if you can drive to west GA, we have lavendar orpingtons roosters presently available for sale. I think you should get a pretty lavendar to add to that beautiful group of birds and add beauty and style as well.

Have a great time. I had a buff but he sold yesterday! We carry speckled sussex but our roos are currently sold out! Happy New Year and good luck on your search... Oh I do have a picture of the lavendar grouping on our bsa section for roos.
  5. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    you can never go wrong with a brahma or cochin- mine are sweet to the ladies, and don't attack me... and with a cochin roo you would for sure have future broodies
  6. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    I say pumpkin hulsey or roundhead...maybe a kelso...heck...get one rooster of every type and work from there!
  7. Mrsfoote

Mrsfoote Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    Laurel Montana
    Quote:x2 i love me some big and beauitful brahma roosters

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by