What breed of rooster should I get?

Right, and when I say EE I mean that I'm considering either a mutt that has the blue egg gene if that's all I can get my hands on or more than likely for a Roo I'd probably be getting either an Ameracuana or Aracuana. Anyone have any experience with crossing an Ameracauna/Aracuana Roo with wyandotte hens? Since the blue egg gene is dominant (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm hopping if I cross the two I could get chickens that look like wyandottes but lay blue eggs. Or would the vice versa be better a Wyandotte Roo with some type of colored egg laying hens?

Since the blue egg gene is dominant (correct me if I'm wrong) I'm hopping if I cross the two I could get chickens that look like wyandottes but lay blue eggs. Or would the vice versa be better a Wyandotte Roo with some type of colored egg laying hens?

F1 looks will likely vary all over the place, some might look like Wyandottes others might look like Ameracauna/Aracuana and yet others looking like patchwork...

Also eggs would not be blue, the eggs would be a light green... There are two factors that contribute to egg color, the color of the shell itself and the 'paint job' on the shell...

Chicken egg shells are either blue or white, blue being dominate... When it comes to 'paint jobs' there can be no external color added then you get blue or white eggs, or there can be some degree of external brown added on the outside of the shell that will shift blue egg shells green or white egg shells to pink or brown shades...

Ok so the wyandotte ameracuana/aracuana cross eggs would be green bc it would be a blue shell coated with the brown overlay coming from the wyandotte side. But as far as if the roo or hen is the one carrying the blue shell gene wouldn't make much of a difference right?

Ok so the wyandotte ameracuana/aracuana cross eggs would be green bc it would be a blue shell coated with the brown overlay coming from the wyandotte side. But as far as if the roo or hen is the one carrying the blue shell gene wouldn't make much of a difference right?

No it doesn't matter what side the blue comes from, if the roo or the hen is homozygous for the blue shell aka carrying two dominant blue genes all the first generation chicks will be blue shell layers, but they will also all have a recessive white shell gene so they will not breed true...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom