What breed of rooster would be best for a smaller flock?

my Buff cochin rooster grew up with the flock. He is calm, fearless and very protective. Hes gentle with the hens and they all run to him at any sign of danger. He's already rescued them from a hawk which was no match for him. I almost felt sorry for the hawk who was getting his ass kicked until it escaped. He always eats last and feeds treats to the girls. That being said...I've also had the opposite with another rooster. He was almost predatory and would literally attack the hens to try to mate with them. No one liked him and he was sent to live out his days on a farm with lots of geese. I also had a White crested Black polish who was a sweet boy but the hens plucked every feather off his head. I segregated him until they grew back and in one afternoon, he was bald and bleeding again. So I see why many people don't care for roosters. Case by case I guess.
I had a sweet cockerel until the top hen went broody she has been inside the coop where he could see her and the chicks . Now he tries to kill her . He is also getting to agressive with the other hen . I have 2 Silkie cockerels that I think I'm going to try with my hens and if I can't rehome with full disclosure he may be culled . I guess you never know until the go through that first breeding season after puberty .

Back
Top Bottom