What Breed of Rooster would YOU get?

Dottie the Chicken

Lover of Jesus, cows, and chickens
May 8, 2020
Wisconsin
Alright, so, I want to get a rooster next year. I've had what breed I'm going to get "figured out" more than once... My mind keeps changing! So, here we go..

If you wanted a rooster that was beautiful, good at protecting his flock-yet not aggressive towards people/or his hens, carried good egg laying genes, and wasn't very flighty, what breed would YOU get?

Please give me some ideas! Or just share breeds that have worked out for you (why you like them as well), are popular on the selling market, ect.

Thank you!!
Dottie the Chicken

Do you have anymore specifics? Egg colour, bantam, large fowl, light weight or heavy, does he need to be pure? My choice would be from Marans, Orpington, Sussex, Welsummer. I had a Silkie roo and Ayam Cemani roo and neither were that great imo. I also had a Turkish Aseel roo and MGB roo, big difference in size but equally great with their girls. With your specifics though I’d chose one of the other breeds I listed. Just my 2 pence :)

Oddly enough, the best rooster I have ever owned was a hatchery line silkie. However, I would not recommend silkies as a whole; the other roosters of that breed which I have owned were about as smart as a bug on a window screen. As far as consistency goes, large fowl chanteclers have been quite lovely, and the white Plymouth rock I currently own is also a capable flock leader. Whether they carry good production genes depends somewhat on the line you purchase from, but I have found my white rock hens to be competent layers.
tankr.JPG

Pet-quality partridge chantecler cockerel

For flock protection in an egg flock with good egg laying genetics etc.. Rhode Island Red Bantam roosters seem ideal. I like to bring down the size of birds in an egg flock without too much loss on egg size. Rhode Island Red would be perfect for that and eventually lead to a better next generation. Smaller Roosters eat less and forage better than larger ones. I finally bought me one (with a female RI Red Bantam) If you have the right hens they are great at making Sex Links. My favorite size of Chicken is halfway between a Bantam and a large fowl bird. I call them 3/4 sized birds.

The breed I have always had good experiences with is Buff Orpington. Or just Orpington.
As a rule, the roosters are very docile.
All five of my pure buff cockerels have been the sweetest ever.
It does depend on what breeds your hens are. You do not want a stompy Orp cockerel in with bantams.
They do an awesome job though.

More info:
I sell eggs. Currently I have 78 chickens- all standard, no bantams. Here is my breed list: ISA Browns, Barred Rocks, Easter Eggers, 1 Buff Orpington, Rhode Island Reds, 1 Calico Princess, Sapphire Gems, Salmon Faverolles, Silver, and Golden Laced Wyandottes, and Speckled Sussex.

Anyone ever had experiences with Wyandotte roosters?

Back
Top Bottom