What breed of Runner Duck is that? - She looks like a Silver Appleyard Runner

Yep, that is definitely the silver appleyard color on a Runner duck :)

No idea if that color is in the US, but with some work you could make it happen. Personally the way I'd do it is cross a Silver Appleyard with a grey Runner. Then I'd breed those offspring together. Then, you'll have ducks that are 3/4 Runner and are apppleyard in color.

Cross those back to a grey Runner again for type. Breed those back together to regain the color. Rinse and repeat until you have the Runner type pretty well locked down.
So this could be achieved within 2-3 years? - What kind of breeding pairs would that require? SA-Duck × GR-Drake or GR-Duck × SA-Drake? Or is that irrelevant?
Ok...who's taking one for the team on this project?? America needs these beauties😍🥰
I will definitely try things like that, once i have my farm on a more stable financial base. First nobody wanted duck-eggs (you remember: Here) - Now suddenly we can't produce enough duck-eggs because everybody want some. And my duck-house is at capacity, only room for one additional Duckie…
And i want to start with bees this year! - I am very likely crazy… 😉

Hi Friends,
please have a look at this beautiful YT video of a Momma Duck and her ducklings in a beautiful pond.
What breed of Runner Duck is Momma Duck? She looks like a Silver Appleyard, but as a runner!
Any idea where one can buy this breed here in the U.S.?
That was beautiful! 😍

Only natural lol. Do you know where that was made?
The German text for the video translated to English says:
I spent the summer of 2014 documenting the natural brood of my running ducks in my own garden.
I built a small floating island in my garden pond and just let things happen.
The drake, and father of 10 chicks, is the one with the almost black feathers.
The mother of the 10 chicks is the one with the almost white plumage.

It was a wonderful experience full of harmony.
The black-feathered drake and 4 of his descendants are still in my care! They still bathe in the same pond in summer and are very familiar with the garden.

This long video is a small thank you to the many people who watched the first video!

I took the comments to heart and only left the original sound inside in this video. No more music in the background! :)

Have fun...
... and best regards!
www.mikeahrens.de

So this could be achieved within 2-3 years? - What kind of breeding pairs would that require? SA-Duck × GR-Drake or GR-Duck × SA-Drake? Or is that irrelevant?

Doesn't matter, either way is fine :) Since Silver Appleyards are a large duck, just to make it easy on the hens I'd probably do it with a Runner drake over the larger SA girls, and not the other way around.

Yes, totally achievable in a couple years. The Runner type might not be the best, yet, but you'd have a duck that looks Runner-ish and is the right color. You'd have to keep breeding back to Runners for type, of course, to perfect that.

Back
Top Bottom