What breed of these is most broody ???

Cochins for sure. But the best are silkie/OE crosses. They're crazy good broodis. If your birds are from hatcheries, they've likely had the broody trait bred out of them, that's why they're not going broody.

Quote:
Cochins are good but silkies are best. But if you want silkie pairs my pet chicken sells juvinilles. And you can probaly look at your local craigslist.com and find some adults, juvinilles, and chicks. But if you want a broody chicken for any type of egg or chick, they will take care of it. And there is eggbid.com, who sells alot of silkies everywhere, and may be delivered. Goodluck.

Quote:
Ditto

I have 10 Silkie girls and at any given time 1/3 to 1/2 of them are broody - I don't even own an incubator.

ETA: Mine are hatchery chickens and it hasn't slowed them down! The first one went broody at 5 months old and I've had a constant stream of broodies since then. I bought them from Privett hatchery and raised them from day-olds.

Last edited:
What Southernbelle said.
smile.png

Mine are from Mypetchicken and they are crazy broody. The white silkie went broody at 7 months (in December with temps in the teens) and the blue went broody in January (with temps in the single digits). Number 1 raised four babies and number 2 is working on three. (Actually, number 2 is working on her three and still mothering the banty baby from hatch one. It's cold out there this morning and I noticed that Shorty the silkie was warming up her three and the big banty from the first hatch!)

Mypetchicken will sell small orders and will sex banties. You could order chicks from there is you can't find any local.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom