What breed of Turkey am I?

Caat

Songster
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
BC,
This was Georgette Christmas, she is now just Georgette (hubby will not kill his turkey). I'd like to know what breed of turkey she is. We got her in Spetember, she hasn't grown a whole lot but then again she's happily eating layer pellets and scratch and kitchen scraps... She is really neat. when the chickens and turkey are out, if we come out back to the coop/run she's the first to greet us and follow us around the run. so I'm not overly disapointed that I had to run to the grocery store for christmas dinner lol.

86312_chickens_sept_2011_011.jpg

The bred she is, is turkey! Her color looks like a spanish black. Turkeys can be very personable. If you want to raise one to eat, you need to keep it penned and have very little contact with it. If they freerange and follow you around like a dog for 8 months it can be hard.

Quote:
Or have a whole flock that all look the same so you can't tell them apart... And don't name them unless it's names like Tastey and Juicy.

Editing to add that she is a beautiful girl! Find her a mate and you can hatch out eggs to raise your own.

Last edited:
thanks folks, I too think she's a black spanish... The turkey and one of the Chanteclers are our "pets" I was telling hubby we need to get her a tom but I don't know that he's going for it... ah well, she's a cool bird so it's all good. I don't think I'm meant to be a "meat farmer" I have issues with killing my chickens/turkey... I know I know, it's hypocritical esp since I have no issue going to the grocery store and getting meat. But it's different when there's emotional attachement...
smile.png
Thanks for the help folks!

Quote:
My daughter has turkeys and I am wondering about the personable. One of her toms is taking a liking to chasing people.

My girl is very curious, she likes to follow me and come close but I cannot make any sudden moves or she runs away. Maybe toms are more agressive???

Quote:
My daughter has turkeys and I am wondering about the personable. One of her toms is taking a liking to chasing people.

Aggressive toms are a blessing! They are easy to kill. All of my toms I keep around for breeding are a sweet as any hen. My 4 year old son helps me with the birds and they eat out of his hand.

Quote:

Don't run from him, it just encourages it. And check to see... is he chasing in an aggressive way or just trying to come see if you have treats or something?

Back
Top Bottom