What breed of Turkey am I?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Caat, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Caat

Caat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    BC,
    This was Georgette Christmas, she is now just Georgette (hubby will not kill his turkey). I'd like to know what breed of turkey she is. We got her in Spetember, she hasn't grown a whole lot but then again she's happily eating layer pellets and scratch and kitchen scraps... She is really neat. when the chickens and turkey are out, if we come out back to the coop/run she's the first to greet us and follow us around the run. so I'm not overly disapointed that I had to run to the grocery store for christmas dinner lol.

[​IMG]

2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    maybe black spanish?

3. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX
    The bred she is, is turkey! Her color looks like a spanish black. Turkeys can be very personable. If you want to raise one to eat, you need to keep it penned and have very little contact with it. If they freerange and follow you around like a dog for 8 months it can be hard.

4. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND
    Quote:Or have a whole flock that all look the same so you can't tell them apart... And don't name them unless it's names like Tastey and Juicy.

Editing to add that she is a beautiful girl! Find her a mate and you can hatch out eggs to raise your own.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2011
  5. Caat

Apr 12, 2011
    BC,
    thanks folks, I too think she's a black spanish... The turkey and one of the Chanteclers are our "pets" I was telling hubby we need to get her a tom but I don't know that he's going for it... ah well, she's a cool bird so it's all good. I don't think I'm meant to be a "meat farmer" I have issues with killing my chickens/turkey... I know I know, it's hypocritical esp since I have no issue going to the grocery store and getting meat. But it's different when there's emotional attachement... [​IMG] Thanks for the help folks!

6. growinupinfl

growinupinfl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Pensacola
    Quote:My daughter has turkeys and I am wondering about the personable. One of her toms is taking a liking to chasing people.

7. Caat

Apr 12, 2011
    BC,
    Quote:My daughter has turkeys and I am wondering about the personable. One of her toms is taking a liking to chasing people.

My girl is very curious, she likes to follow me and come close but I cannot make any sudden moves or she runs away. Maybe toms are more agressive???

8. ColbyNTX

ColbyNTX Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    Woods, TX

Aggressive toms are a blessing! They are easy to kill. All of my toms I keep around for breeding are a sweet as any hen. My 4 year old son helps me with the birds and they eat out of his hand.

9. Ducks and Banny hens

Ducks and Banny hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    On a little Farm.
    Quote:X2

10. Frosty

Frosty Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2008
    ND

Don't run from him, it just encourages it. And check to see... is he chasing in an aggressive way or just trying to come see if you have treats or something?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by