What breed of turkey should i get?

NJ Ranch

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 2, 2009
Zanesville, ohio
I am wanting to try some turkeys. i have raised meat turkeys one year but thats it. Just wanting them for pets to roam the yard and possibly show at our county fair. My friends has royal palms and she showed them this year at our fair. i liked them however I want something different incase i want to show turkeys.

Thanks,
Nathan

Hi, Most Colored Turkeys do very well and are easy to keep/feed. Just pick the type that you love best. I have Royal Palm, Bourbon reds & Blue Slate. - Love um all
love.gif

I'm raising Narragansetts. They are beautiful birds, great at breeding and good parents. I've heard many say they are the best turkey they ever tasted. We love eating the eggs, too. The tail feathers are goreous with multi colored bands and white fringe. Lovely irredescent feathers and some are black with irredescent colors. Very striking.

Our Narr. toms have all been gentle with us and kind to the hens.
I would recommend them. I have never raised any other kind. Have successfully raised Narrs. for three years now. Have had good luck selling eggs, poults and trio adults.

I have never showed any birds...

Good luck.
wink.png

I ordered a mix from the hatchery and based on my experience I think I will raise standard bronzes. There are three Narrigansets in my posse and they are beautiful. If I was going to have turkeys ust to "hang out" I would have Narri's or Blue Slates...

I have 4 standard bronze and they are huge and like puppies! But my other turkey is a cross or nargasett and a white of some breed. He is beautiful and he makes the bronze look little!

We raise 6 different breeds of turkeys here is some pictures:
Standard Bronze
Bronzetoms2-09.jpg

White Holland
WhiteHollandtom.jpg

Royal Palm
Pepper.jpg

Midget White
Spice.jpg

Bourbon Red
Bourbontoms.jpg

Beltsville Small White
BeltsvilleToms.jpg

Each one has its own traits. What are you wanting to raise them for?

Sharon

Last edited:
Sharon,
Thanks for the pictures. i am wanting the turkeys for pets basically however i might show them at our county fair. I raised meat turkeys for 4-H one year and i really liked them but i would like a more eye catching.
Thanks,
Nathan

Oh, you have to check out the website for porters turkeys!!

www.porterturkeys.com

You wont believe all the varieties that are out there!! We got some Blue Palms, to go with our royal palm and slates, they are so pretty! Next year I want to get some of the penciled palms!

I had no idea there were so many breeds! I only knew about the ones from the hatcheries! Check them out, you will be amazed!

Good Luck
A~

I was in the same boat as you last week. Since then i got 3 different turkeys, a black spanish, a royal palm and a blue slate. I couldnt pick just one type, so i got a few!

Why does this thread have a dot next to it in the index listing, and not show up in my profile area under list of topics? I noticed this happening once before on another thread I was watching. Its like the thread is marked to die, but they dont actually lock it, just make it invisible!!

Why?

Back
Top Bottom