What breed please

Utmost

Chirping
Mar 21, 2020
Farmville Virginia
C1398FD7-D3BF-4DD8-A554-FF27A3C231D6.jpeg

Can someone tell me what breed I have she’s 20 weeks no egg yet?

But crossed with which hen
I have a ayam rooster she hatched from a hidden egg I have 9 hens each different including a ayam hen I have legbar, Easter egger, Americana, maran, and others each different breed

Do you know what color egg she hatched from? That could help reduce the possibilities.

With Ayam Cemani for the father, her mother could be almost anything in that list except the Cream Legbar. Cream Legbar would have produced a daughter with a crest on the head, which I don't see in the photos.

If you do not know what color egg she hatched from, you will be able to tell a bit more when the pullet starts laying eggs. If she lays blue or green eggs, her mother must also lay colored eggs. If she does not lay blue or green eggs, her mother probably does not either.

And if you post pictures of all the hens, we might be able to rule out a few more as well. Certain colors of Easter Eggers could produce a daughter of that color, but some other colors of Easter Egger could not (and similarly for some other types of hens.)

Depending on where the chicken came from, I'm guessing Black Sexlink. Some of them have pretty dark faces, and they are fairly common.

Some of them have a lot of red in the breast, but some have very little.

Or possibly some kind of Easter Egger or Olive Egger. They can come from many different crosses, but some of them have a lot of black.

When she starts laying eggs, her egg color might help sort it out. Since this is spring, that will hopefully happen fairly soon.

Those guesses are based on what US hatcheries often produce, that are commonly found for sale in stores (since OP is in Virginia).

If the chicken was hatched from someone's backyard flock that has a mix of breeds, she would most likely be some kind of mix and we may never know exactly what.

I think I'm seeing a dual-purpose body shape and a single comb, but the comb is difficult to see (black on a black chicken), and identifying body types is one of my weakest points, so I could be wrong about both of those ;)

Last edited:
Three breeds come to mind with the black comb & wattles: Could be the rare Ayam Cemani, but more likely are the Sumatra or Kadaknath. She could also be mixed. What color are the bottoms of her feet?
Hoping someone with more breed experience answers, I'm still learning :D

Back
Top Bottom