What breed, please...

That's good info. Is there a debate about whether or not you should add artificial light? I wondered. Yeah... since these are young, I wonder if some of them will not begin laying (esp. regularly) until spring. :-/

A friend who has chickens (40 of them tho lol I have a small flock!) Told me she has added light in the past and the majority of her hens kept laying but stopped laying at 2 years :( while before her light there was a gradual decrease in a hens eggs per week until she was about 3-4 yrs old. This made for her to add more layers sooner than expected for 2 seasons until she figured out itwas the light.
Keeping them in production full time and happy an healthy is totally attainable BUT on the downside hens go into Hen-O-Pause sooner. They are born with what they'll lay in life, if we keep that girl going thru molts/winter times we get the eggs in a shorter period than nature had planned.
I need production with my small numbers and town restrictions. I added the light, aware my hens will most likely fall out of production at 2 years old and I will rotate stock. :)
That's good info. Is there a debate about whether or not you should add artificial light? I wondered. Yeah... since these are young, I wonder if some of them will not begin laying (esp. regularly) until spring. :-/

Thanks, JLfarm!
Thank you to everyone for your comments and advice!!
Angelicisi, that is great info for me to know as I go forward with these chickens.
Bless you all! :)

Back
Top Bottom