What breed, please...

Wow.. that is a nice size egg.. and she's pretty, too! I hope mine will lay soon. We have 23 girls and get 4-5 eggs/day right now. The are all about 6 mos old. We are working to add a light in the house on a timer. We are in south AL.

Yep, red sex links. I was with Wyandottes at first, it looked more like an Orpington, something very fluffy and rounded, but the following pics show classic red sex link body type.

Ahhh.. thank you. These two were purchased separately, and they pretty much stay to themselves. They are very friendly, and so far.... have not bullied the other girls. Hopefully, it will stay that way. Anyone have any suggestions about putting a light in the house to encourage laying during the short days? Or should I post that in another forum? I sure hope they all start laying soon. Thanks to all!

I just hung a 20 watt led lamp in their coop/run that's on a timer. We have it On at 2am and Off at 7am, but we just got around to doing it this week at the end of my flocks molt but after the daylight had already changed for fall :/ whoops. I read in a few places its a hormones things and after it subsides for the "season" naturally, it can take 10-21 days to trigger the hormones back into laying mode with light. Doh. We put the lamp in last Sunday...I have yet to receive an egg from the 3 on strike, I'd be happy to let you know when I do so maybe it'll give you or others a ballpark? Or please let us know when they start up again for you :)
Ahhh.. thank you. These two were purchased separately, and they pretty much stay to themselves. They are very friendly, and so far.... have not bullied the other girls. Hopefully, it will stay that way. Anyone have any suggestions about putting a light in the house to encourage laying during the short days? Or should I post that in another forum? I sure hope they all start laying soon. Thanks to all!

So, you are essentiall adding 5 hours of daylight, right? Am I right that they need appx. 14 hrs of daylight to lay? When will they molt? Will I know for sure? Will they all molt at the same time? Or? I appreciate this, because I hadn't even thought about when would be best to add the light... from 6pm til about 10pm or in early morning, as you mentioned. Right now, we are getting a little over 11 hours of daylight. They may not all lay at full laying force until spring... Is that right?
Thanks for your help-- and your patience. :)

I read to add the hours of light in the AM, so come roosting times they're not left in the dark suddenly to stumble around.

Different birds molt at different times. My run looks like a chicken exploded at the moment. Feathers everywhere. This is their 1st molt, I was nervous but gave them a bit of extra protein when I started to see feathers and now their new ones are almost all in.

And I have 2 pullets I'm worried are gonna hold out till spring! So maybe the light will help. But there are mixed thoughts on adding light. I chose too even after my research :)

Back
Top Bottom