What breed/s is my Henrietta? (thanks)

yeye5

Songster
Jun 11, 2016
North East Florida
Hen-rietta, I've been told, looks like an Easter Egger. However she lays light eggs, tan color.
I got 3 hens from a couple that doesn't keep track of which hens are bred by which roosters. I do believe she's a mixed breed.
She is all black with gold laced hackle, up through her neck, very pretty.
Does anyone have ideas on what breed/s she is?
Thanks in advance for any input :)

Pic #1 is Henrietta with Lucy behind her. Pic #2 is Henrietta.

Definitely looks like an Easter egger, sometimes Easter eggers don't actually lay green or blue eggs.

Last edited:
Definitely looks like an Easter egger, sometimes Easter eggers don't actually lay green or blue eggs.
I had no idea that was possible. That's for this new info!

And thanks to all of you for responding.
Would it be possible, if paired properly, for Henrietta's offspring (hens) to lat blue or green eggs? If so what would be possible breeds for a rooster to mate her with?

She would produce green layers, but only if paired with a rooster that has the blue eggshell gene. The gene for blue shells is dominant over the white shell gene. The blue shell gene, combined with a gene for brown 'coating' produces green eggs. She has no blue egg shell gene to pass on.

Last edited:
I had no idea that was possible. That's for this new info!

And thanks to all of you for responding.
Would it be possible, if paired properly, for Henrietta's offspring (hens) to lat blue or green eggs? If so what would be possible breeds for a rooster to mate her with?
I had bought two easter egger bantams from a hatchery, assuming they would lay blue or green eggs, or at least one would, but they both laid tan eggs. After closer inspection, I realized it was technically impossible for Pumpkin to lay blue/green eggs because she didn't have a pea comb, and her earlobe color was not blue. But Cocoa-puff should have laid blue or green eggs because she had a pea comb, slate legs, and blue earlobes. From the outside, it looked like she had all the genes to lay colored eggs, but nope!

She would produce green layers, but only if paired with a rooster that has the blue eggshell gene. The gene for blue shells is dominant over the white shell gene. The blue shell gene, combined with a gene for brown 'coating' produces green eggs. She has no blue egg shell gene to pass on.

Other than DNA testing is there any was to predict the breeds of roos that would carry the blue eggshell gene? I wasn't originally going to EEs but when I saw Henrietta I fell in love and at that time I didn't even know that she resembles an EE hen.
Thanks.

I had bought two easter egger bantams from a hatchery, assuming they would lay blue or green eggs, or at least one would, but they both laid tan eggs. After closer inspection, I realized it was technically impossible for Pumpkin to lay blue/green eggs because she didn't have a pea comb, and her earlobe color was not blue. But Cocoa-puff should have laid blue or green eggs because she had a pea comb, slate legs, and blue earlobes. From the outside, it looked like she had all the genes to lay colored eggs, but nope!

This is So interesting! I'm so happy to be learning from everyone here.
So, EE's that will lay blue/green eggs must have blue earlobes, a pea comb and...what other qualities would an EE hen have?
Is that also true of Olive Eggers? I think I'll need to look at lots of pics :)

Nope. The only way to tell if an Easter Egger rooster has the blue eggshell gene is to breed him and grow out his chicks. If all of the pullets lay blue or green eggs, he's got two copies of the gene. If any of her daughters lay a color other than blue or green, he only has one copy of the gene.

Back
Top Bottom