What breed/s is my Henrietta? (thanks)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by yeye5, Aug 11, 2016.

1. yeye5

yeye5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    Hen-rietta, I've been told, looks like an Easter Egger. However she lays light eggs, tan color.
    I got 3 hens from a couple that doesn't keep track of which hens are bred by which roosters. I do believe she's a mixed breed.
    She is all black with gold laced hackle, up through her neck, very pretty.
    Does anyone have ideas on what breed/s she is?
    Thanks in advance for any input :)[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pic #1 is Henrietta with Lucy behind her. Pic #2 is Henrietta.

2. I Love Layers

I Love Layers Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2015
    Middle of Nowhere
    Definitely looks like an Easter egger, sometimes Easter eggers don't actually lay green or blue eggs.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2016
  3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    Some sort of mix could be an ee.

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    maybe a mix of a mix, never saw a comb like that on EE's - and she is a hefty bird as well.

5. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    I had no idea that was possible. That's for this new info!

And thanks to all of you for responding.
    Would it be possible, if paired properly, for Henrietta's offspring (hens) to lat blue or green eggs? If so what would be possible breeds for a rooster to mate her with?

6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    She would produce green layers, but only if paired with a rooster that has the blue eggshell gene. The gene for blue shells is dominant over the white shell gene. The blue shell gene, combined with a gene for brown 'coating' produces green eggs. She has no blue egg shell gene to pass on.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
  7. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I had bought two easter egger bantams from a hatchery, assuming they would lay blue or green eggs, or at least one would, but they both laid tan eggs. After closer inspection, I realized it was technically impossible for Pumpkin to lay blue/green eggs because she didn't have a pea comb, and her earlobe color was not blue. But Cocoa-puff should have laid blue or green eggs because she had a pea comb, slate legs, and blue earlobes. From the outside, it looked like she had all the genes to lay colored eggs, but nope!

8. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    Other than DNA testing is there any was to predict the breeds of roos that would carry the blue eggshell gene? I wasn't originally going to EEs but when I saw Henrietta I fell in love and at that time I didn't even know that she resembles an EE hen.
    Thanks.

9. yeye5

Jun 11, 2016
    North East Florida
    This is So interesting! I'm so happy to be learning from everyone here.
    So, EE's that will lay blue/green eggs must have blue earlobes, a pea comb and...what other qualities would an EE hen have?
    Is that also true of Olive Eggers? I think I'll need to look at lots of pics :)

10. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Nope. The only way to tell if an Easter Egger rooster has the blue eggshell gene is to breed him and grow out his chicks. If all of the pullets lay blue or green eggs, he's got two copies of the gene. If any of her daughters lay a color other than blue or green, he only has one copy of the gene.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by