what breed should i get for a pet?

DUCKGIRL89

Songster
8 Years
Apr 28, 2011
TN
Which breed should i get for a pet? which would be more people friendly? BO's, or JG's? i have orps now, they are friendly but i want to hear from JG AND Orp owners...thanks!

I know these breeds aren't in your list, and that you might have considered them already, but d'Uccles and Silkies are just about the sweetest chickens we own, and ours will follow me around begging to be picked up. They are a lot friendlier than our Orpingtons, but I don't know about Jersey Giants (we don't own any). Just thought they are worth thinking about, since you are looking for a pet. Have fun looking for chickens!

HI!

thanks! im slightly against silkies right now. i had one mothering two black orp chicks and she abandoned them :(,,,,, made me sad. plus shes really evil to all of us... but i have to say they are super cute!

the reason i want one of these two breeds is because im trying to find a friend for these 2 chicks she abandoned... Plus they are 4-5 weeks old and a new baby silkie wouldnt last with these two :(

i will totally think about it though!

Are you looking for strictly a pet (you don't care about eggs)? If so, I would recommend the Serama. They are tiny little chickens with great temperaments.

I bought some for my daughter and myself from OC Seramas and I LOVE them. www.ocseramas.com

I don't have them,but I read that Ko Shamo's are even sweeter than silkies. They've been bred as indoor pets (still caged) for 100's of years.

I don't really want a bantam since they will be living with my LF orpingtons. But that chicken is really cute!

Get whatever breed YOU like, don't just follow the crowd. Most breeds out there are as friendly as the next, especially ones not bred from hatchery stock. I first started out with hatchery Polish, Brahmas, and Naked Necks because they seemed awesome to me. Then I moved onto buying hatching eggs from breeders (way more fun to do, way more choices) and got myself in serious love with French Marans, true Araucanas, rare colors of Polish, and Shamos.

And nothing beats the consistency of friendliness in gamefowl like Shamos.
smile.png
Bred for over 200 years to be anything but human-aggressive.

Get whatever breed YOU like, don't just follow the crowd. Most breeds out there are as friendly as the next, especially ones not bred from hatchery stock. I first started out with hatchery Polish, Brahmas, and Naked Necks because they seemed awesome to me. Then I moved onto buying hatching eggs from breeders (way more fun to do, way more choices) and got myself in serious love with French Marans, true Araucanas, rare colors of Polish, and Shamos.

And nothing beats the consistency of friendliness in gamefowl like Shamos.
smile.png
Bred for over 200 years to be anything but human-aggressive.

I agree! Everyone likes a different flavor, like ice cream!
wink.png
My friendliest chicken is a red sex link, she follows me around like a puppy. Who knew?

Back
Top Bottom