What breed should i get?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by brooster, Nov 2, 2008.

1. brooster

brooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I am going to get a pair of Bantams to show at my county fair. I will get a pair now and breed them in the spring, and take the babies to the fair. I want unique pretty birds, and somewhat nice. They need to go broody. I prefer clean legged birds as they are eaiser to keep clean for show. I want something different, but i need to be able to find a breeder. I think i want New Hampshire Bantams, but what do you think. Oh and white birds dont work, they are hard to keep clean.

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I am sure you know these are common, but my favs are Buff Orpingtons. they are friendly, calm, docile, good layers. I just love my girls.

3. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    I have standard Buff orps, they are nice, but i want something different

4. Roosterboy

Roosterboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2008
    Well, i've heard that silkies weren't to hard to clean even though they have feathered feet but i'll let the experts correct me if i'm wrong. You can't get much more unique than that.

I think the dutch bantams are pretty cool to but that is personal preference.

5. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Quote:I will second the silkies. How about millie fleur d'uccles?
    ETA: I also love japanese bantams and seabrites

Last edited: Nov 2, 2008
  6. brooster

Jun 14, 2007
    northwest Ohio
    i have millie fluer d-Uccles and silkies. I have thought about black tailed white japs, but are those mean?

7. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    my black tailed white jap Roo is not mean at all.

8. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    My black tail white japanese hen was vicious but i have a btb and she is a sweety but still very skiddish around humans. I love the dutch too but they are spaztic at least my hen is until ya catch her then she calms down.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
  10. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    I LOVE my Araucana bantams I have more on the way now so I will start breeding in the spring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by