What Breed Should I Get?

I would wait a bit on some treats like meal worms, crickets, etc. Sometimes the treats are so great that they'll disregard their food where all those necessary nutrients are. I know my adult ducks start thinking that way, so I have to treat the treats like something special, otherwise they expect them and neglect their food.

Also, some treats like mealworms & beetles have a lot of protein, so be sure to feed them a balanced diet and monitor the protein so your ducklings don't get angel wing.

But incorporating fresh greens as a treat/enrichment early is always nice to ensure they have those continued good eating habits throughout their life.
A DUCK with good eating habits?! - I have not seen any duck with a good eating habit! Anything, i mean any thing, edible that fits into their bill will be eaten! And only the bare soil is left behind:
20210213_130610.jpg

Thanks, everyone! I was looking for something they could dive for while swimming. I decided just to sprinkle their feed in the tub. They love it! Maybe I'll try tiny bits of greens tomorrow.
If you have, chop up some (iceberg) salad and put that into their bathtub. But be aware they will splash around a lot when "hunting" for the salad bits.

Noob question #257545786544457999:
My duckies like to sleep in a pile. Does that mean they are too cold?

I'm using a heating pad set to medium (around 85°) and they have a guinea pig cave that feels like a sauna (90+°). They *feel* quite warm when I pick them up. Should I be concerned?
Absolutely NO! - Ducklings pile up regardless of how warm it is! If it is too warm they can overheat. The little ones need to snuggle to feel safe.

Noob question #257545786544457999:
My duckies like to sleep in a pile. Does that mean they are too cold?

I'm using a heating pad set to medium (around 85°) and they have a guinea pig cave that feels like a sauna (90+°). They *feel* quite warm when I pick them up. Should I be concerned?
I don't actually know the answer, but I know that my babies slept in a snuggle pile. I don't believe mine were too cold. I had thermometers, cooler sides and warmer sides. I don't remember the temperatures, but they were always snuggling. I loved it. Especially when the snuggle party was on my bare feet!

Back
Top Bottom