What Breed Should I Get?

Maybe I spoke too soon.

My 4755853rd noob question: I noticed tonight that Peanut (Saxony) sits down more than the others. Is it because she's just chillin' or do I need to increase the yeast? I add enough to their feed to be 55mg of niacin for 2 lbs of feed. Is that enough? Is it too much? Should I add a little more just in case?

Thank you all SO MUCH for your encouragement, help, and patience!!!
Saxony ducks are not as active as the other breeds. That sounds pretty normal. One of mine would eat tons of food and just lounge. She was happy to let us pet her because she was lazy. Saxony ducks are also slow growing ducks compared to other breeds. Your feed also will have some niacin in it as well.

There was a similar post from someone the other day about pekin ducklings. And everyone basically said they are super lazy ducks.

You're so very welcome, I wasn’t sure all my encouragement for you to do the right thing was being heard.

The. Anti-dux federation welcomes your efforts and help. :lau :lau
I absolutely adore your dark humor and witticisms. I do. You sound like the kind of person I'd love to play cards with.

But I LOVE DUCKIES as living creatures, and I plan on raising them to live out their natural lived. So we will have to agree to disagree.

But don't leave this thread! I mean it when I say I appreciate you. I just don't always know how to respond to your sardonic views...

I absolutely adore your dark humor and witticisms. I do. You sound like the kind of person I'd love to play cards with.

But I LOVE DUCKIES as living creatures, and I plan on raising them to live out their natural lived. So we will have to agree to disagree.

But don't leave this thread! I mean it when I say I appreciate you. I just don't always know how to respond to your sardonic views...
I am a fierce card player, I try to never lose.

but I will not allow a dux behind me while playing, they pass signals as to what my cards are.

Maybe I spoke too soon.

My 4755853rd noob question: I noticed tonight that Peanut (Saxony) sits down more than the others. Is it because she's just chillin' or do I need to increase the yeast? I add enough to their feed to be 55mg of niacin for 2 lbs of feed. Is that enough? Is it too much? Should I add a little more just in case?

Thank you all SO MUCH for your encouragement, help, and patience!!!
It is pretty much normal for every duckling to sit down a bit more than the others for some time. She may has overstuffed herself or is just growing taller (which is hard work!).
With Niacin it is the same as with money: You can't have too much! Excess money can easily be spent (ask my wife!) and excess Niacin is just peed out.

Oh, thank you! I am all over this comparison chart!

I'm getting 2, I think, to start. I'll probably order them so I can get just girls. Hubby isn't as enamored as I am, but he felt the same way about the chickens at first, but he adores them now.

This is perfect! Thank you! I'll let you know what I decide. Perkins are in the lead atm.

If I got more, do you think I could get more than 1 breed??? My chickens are very mixed flock, and I've really enjoyed having all the different personalities together.
If possible, would you consider 4? In the event one dies in transit or some other incident, you wouldn't want a duck to be alone. I've also noticed that ducks have such flock mentality that over the years of adding ducks to my flock, there are distinct "gangs" that stick together, based on who they were raised with.
Getting a mixed flock is always fun, and allows you to get to know the different breeds!
I have a mixed flock of runners, Cayugas, White Layers and Welsh Harlequins and I love them all. There are certain personality traits about breeds (like how runners are nervous) but I've noticed that early exposure and friendliness to the ducks helps them feel secure. Sometimes this only works for a certain amount of time and then they act like you're an ax murderer, but other times they're genuinely friendly to you haha.

If possible, would you consider 4? In the event one dies in transit or some other incident, you wouldn't want a duck to be alone. I've also noticed that ducks have such flock mentality that over the years of adding ducks to my flock, there are distinct "gangs" that stick together, based on who they were raised with.
Getting a mixed flock is always fun, and allows you to get to know the different breeds!
I have a mixed flock of runners, Cayugas, White Layers and Welsh Harlequins and I love them all. There are certain personality traits about breeds (like how runners are nervous) but I've noticed that early exposure and friendliness to the ducks helps them feel secure. Sometimes this only works for a certain amount of time and then they act like you're an ax murderer, but other times they're genuinely friendly to you haha.
Actually, I DID get 4: a Welsh, a Runner, a Swedish, and a Saxony! All arrived healthy and happy last Tuesday.
:wee

Actually, I DID get 4: a Welsh, a Runner, a Swedish, and a Saxony! All arrived healthy and happy last Tuesday.
:wee
Yay that's great to hear!! Let me know what you think of the Swedish and Saxony!! I've never raised those but might be looking to possibly in the future! Enjoy them and have fun naming!! It will be fun to observe their distinct personalities, quacks, etc.

Did you get them sexed? Do you know the genders or the ratio of male to female if they are straight run?

Yay that's great to hear!! Let me know what you think of the Swedish and Saxony!! I've never raised those but might be looking to possibly in the future! Enjoy them and have fun naming!! It will be fun to observe their distinct personalities, quacks, etc.

Did you get them sexed? Do you know the genders or the ratio of male to female if they are straight run?
I got all females because I intend to keep them in the chicken yard.

Back
Top Bottom