What Breed Should I Get?

Muscovies. Are. Awesome.

They are smart, quiet, super-friendly, loyal, amazing parents, excellent flock protectors, unique, and beautiful-ugly. Though admittedly there are some points to consider:
  1. They are much larger than mallard-type ducks.
  2. They can be VERY successful and prolific breeders — duckling overload.
  3. They can be too protective. I had a scobie drake who had to be locked up when anyone visited because he was a biter.
  4. Their facial appearance is unusual. As my dad says “they look like they got hit by a truck hauling a load of ugly sticks”.
If all that works for you, then muscovies are a dream come true.

Muscovies. Are. Awesome.

They are smart, quiet, super-friendly, loyal, amazing parents, excellent flock protectors, unique, and beautiful-ugly. Though admittedly there are some points to consider:
  1. They are much larger than mallard-type ducks
This is true of the males, but keep in mind if you get females they will be about average duck sized. My biggest female muscovy is 5lbs and my other 2 are 4lbs. So if you don't get any muscovy drakes you won't have to worry about having massive ducks. The males get 10-15lbs. So they are properly huge a lot of people who don't know what they are even think they are geese.

Last edited:
I'm with the Scovie lovers here. I have had Pekins, Buffs, East Indies, Mandarin, and Call's other than Scovies, and I only have the Muscovy left for a reason. They are quiet, They have more personality if you ask me, and they aren't super obsessed with water like all the Mallard derived breeds. They still like water, but don't sit over it all day long, splash it all out to make mud, and dig huge holes in the dirt daily. They still play in puddles if it's raining, but are much less hard on the ground.

The drakes are quite large and eat considerably more than the hens. Most drakes can't really fly though since they get so large which is a plus if you're worried about flying. I haven't have any issues with mine flying off yet. They want to stay together and stick around where they know the food is.

I know a lot of people like Pekins, but I would never have them again unless I was planning to use them for their intended purpose of butchering. They drake was horribly mean and so very hard on ALL of my hens of all breeds. The hen was never very friendly, or even stood out to me in any way. Maybe I just got a dud, but I was not impressed at all. All the other poultry was scared of him and stayed away. He liked to pull on wings and just beat all the chickens up too.

All other breeds of ducks are SO LOUD. The hens carrying on got to be too much sometimes. The Scovies just hiss and chirp at you and it's so cute! Plus they wag their tails and put their crests up too! Mandarins aren't too loud either. They have more of a whistle.

My second favorite, and not on your list was the Buff Ducks. Look them up! They were calmer than the other breeds by a little.

East Indies, Calls, and Mandarins fly WELL. I had some fly to the pond behind my house that I couldn't catch and they didn't make it over winter. Once they knew it was back there I couldn't keep them in the yard either. Unless you clipped, I would be worried to lose those ones.

khaki Campbells i like them over the runners. I wont go into the cons of having ducks, you learn them after you get them. They are Fun, i don't have the time for them. Enjoy your Ducks! :)

I vote for Runners. I have three that are still quite young, 5+ weeks, and they are not happy about being handled right now, but they definitely know I’m not going to hurt them and will approach me. I can coax them to the pool no problem, and they’ll hop right in. I think it may just take a bit more time to earn their trust and they require some patience while you do that. Bowls of water with greens and peas has gone a long way toward earning at least some points. Enjoy whatever you decide!

I have Kkaki Campbell ducks and Pekins and they lay a lot of eggs (the Kkaki Campbells) I love my pekin he is too cute!(never had any health issues so far) I got ducks because I love them and they were cute and I didn’t really care about eggs. Kkaki Campbell’s are skittish they just have to get used to you and after awhile they’ll nibble your hand and such but thy aren’t super friendly. My pekin is just so darn cute lol! I really like my Pekin and Runners are adorable!! I would do a breed your husband likes as well because I find when you do a breed they like they want more!😂 Kkaki Campbell’s I’ve heard aren’t good mothers (I will be testing that theory this spring) runners I heard are okay at being a mother but it all depends on the duck. Cayugas are great mothers tho. If you just want them for their cuteness Pekin and runners would probably be the way to go! Welsh Harlaquins are super cute too!
It truly does feel like being in a candy store! I’m ready to order more ducks and it’s soo exiting! You can have a mixed flock of ducks. You will loveeeeee ducks!! They are so funny and adorable!! 🥰🥰🥰
Hope this wasn’t too long
Alli💛🥰🦆

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom