What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
Hi!

I have ALWAYS wanted ducks. I LOVE ducks. I plan to get a few this spring now that I have a lot more room. I have a small flock of chickens (getting more of those, too, come spring). These ducks will be pets more than anything, but I do like duck eggs!

Now that I am finally getting them, I am like a kid in a candy store! I don't know what kind to get! I adore Runners, but Cayuga are gorgeous. And Pekin are adorable. And my hubby likes Swedish. And Appleyards seem fantastic. Ahhhhhh!
:barnie

I would prefer ducks who don't fly. They will be in a fenced area (about 1/4 acre in area) shared with my chickens, but they'll have their own wing of the chicken house (pardon the pun).

Advice? I'm leaning towards Runners for cuteness, but I've heard they can be really standoffish. I don't need them to be my best friends, but I need to be able to handle them to care for them.

TIA!

(I'm so excited!!!!)
Hi Tia, getting ducks is a really exciting experience, I was the same! I love my two Indian Runners. They are goofy, skatty, loving, excitable and make me laugh on a regular basis. We had them at a few days old and they are now 6 months old and their isnt a day that goes by where I regret the animal or breed choice. Our boy is soft and calm. Our girl is bonkers and loud, but would not change them for the world. Good luck!

Crazy idea.... What do y'all think about this???

I'm a high school teacher. I teach 9th, 11th, and 12th graders. I'm considering having a contest to allow my students to name my ducks, but I'm a little afraid that they'll come up with really stupid names. I could easily imagine ending up with ducks named Ducky McDuck Face, Harry Styles, Spiderman, and Young Thug.
You'll end up with a Spiderman.

What breed are your ducks?
I imagine that you are able to let your ducks scavenge fairly easily in your location.
I started out with 6 ducks 6 years ago.

1 Cayuga from a feed store
1 Welsh harlequin from a feed store
1 Crested pekin rescued from a pond
1 Dark khaki campbell? rescued from a pond
1 Light khaki campbell? rescued from a pond
1 Welsh harlequin from a Lake

The maybe khakis could be mixes. They don't look exactly like the breed standard. They have definitely been the healthiest.

I have 3 remaining. The ones that passed died from medical conditions, and I took them to our avian veterinarian and tried to save each one.

Yes, we have a lot of forage year around. Lots of slugs, worms, and green plants. They are so funny. We joke that foraging is so much work that after eating they need to come inside and eat. I take them for supervised foraging walks almost daily and when we go back to their aviary they immediately dive into their pellets. Lol.

Crazy idea.... What do y'all think about this???

I'm a high school teacher. I teach 9th, 11th, and 12th graders. I'm considering having a contest to allow my students to name my ducks, but I'm a little afraid that they'll come up with really stupid names. I could easily imagine ending up with ducks named Ducky McDuck Face, Harry Styles, Spiderman, and Young Thug.
I try not to name my ducks, but some of them have earned them, like PomPom Duck with the stylish pom-pom on her head or LeeRoy Brown Drake who is a bad boy and stole my penut-butter samich from the table. You don't want to end up with »Hulk Duck« do you…

Back
Top Bottom