What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
A 6' plastic kiddie pool with woodchips for 1-2 weeks then chopped straw as bedding.

I have had great luck using sawdust pellets (the kind used for horse stalls) with straw. You can get a 50lb bag for $5 or $6 and you only need a tiny bit because they expand. I put them down on the bottom of the brooder, and sprinkle as-needed around the water and poopiest spots.

Kiddie pools are also great. I ended up upgrading from the tote to an old puppy pen lined with a tarp. Work with what you got!

Ihop you did not fell for the scam and bought a prefab-house?!?
Those are utterly unfit for ducks!
No. I know better! Haha! I am making it from scrap wood I am finding all over my property. It is 4ft x 5 ft with a sloping roof that I plan to cover it with an recycled metal roofing panel. So far, I have the base, the outside wall, and the door. The door is put together but not attached. I am attaching it to the side of my current coop, which is a converted storage shed. So the duck house and the coop will share a wall, more or less.

But using all the mix-n-match lumber is making it difficult. That, and my kinda weak-sauce tools. I'll make a "coop page" eventually.

I have had great luck using sawdust pellets (the kind used for horse stalls) with straw. You can get a 50lb bag for $5 or $6 and you only need a tiny bit because they expand. I put them down on the bottom of the brooder, and sprinkle as-needed around the water and poopiest spots.

Kiddie pools are also great. I ended up upgrading from the tote to an old puppy pen lined with a tarp. Work with what you got!
This is my plan - the pellets! The rabbit cage has a big ol' plastic bottom.

And it is BIG - I think 12 sq ft.

LOL. Is that for a brooder? If so, you can buy yourself some time and get away with starting them in a large plastic tote.
No. It's the actual duck house. I have a brooder. I just don't want to put it off and end up having to rush to do it. And we are expecting snow this weekend, so I want to get the roof on ASAP.

No. I know better! Haha! I am making it from scrap wood I am finding all over my property. It is 4ft x 5 ft with a sloping roof that I plan to cover it with an recycled metal roofing panel. So far, I have the base, the outside wall, and the door. The door is put together but not attached. I am attaching it to the side of my current coop, which is a converted storage shed. So the duck house and the coop will share a wall, more or less.

But using all the mix-n-match lumber is making it difficult. That, and my kinda weak-sauce tools. I'll make a "coop page" eventually.
Oh yes! I have learned so many new skills during the last three years, since we no longer live in suburbia! But good tools are important! And they're not so expensive. Do you have a Harbor-Freight Tools in your area? Their tools are not professional grade (but we don't need that) and really affordable.

Back
Top Bottom