What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
This is my plan - the pellets! The rabbit cage has a big ol' plastic bottom.

And it is BIG - I think 12 sq ft.
I tried pellets for bedding… That was two years ago and i still find those behind the furniture. Little duckies accelerate from zero to lightspeed in less than a second and fling the pellets out of the brooder ten feet into the room. I tried a lot of different materials, so far i am back to cut-straw when they are a week old. @Magnolia Ducks is using puppy pads, have not tried those.

I tried pellets for bedding… That was two years ago and i still find those behind the furniture. Little duckies accelerate from zero to lightspeed in less than a second and fling the pellets out of the brooder ten feet into the room. I tried a lot of different materials, so far i am back to cut-straw when they are a week old. @Magnolia Ducks is using puppy pads, have not tried those.
Lol! Seriously! I used those pellets for kitty litter about 8 years ago, then switched, and I occasionally find one wedged somewhere, or under the fridge! Hmmm.... Maybe I don't clean my house very well...

Lol! Seriously! I used those pellets for kitty litter about 8 years ago, then switched, and I occasionally find one wedged somewhere, or under the fridge! Hmmm.... Maybe I don't clean my house very well...
You can't move the heavy furniture around for cleaning every weekend, just because a duckling or a kitten flung a pellet somewhere. :lau

Hi!

I have ALWAYS wanted ducks. I LOVE ducks. I plan to get a few this spring now that I have a lot more room. I have a small flock of chickens (getting more of those, too, come spring). These ducks will be pets more than anything, but I do like duck eggs!

Now that I am finally getting them, I am like a kid in a candy store! I don't know what kind to get! I adore Runners, but Cayuga are gorgeous. And Pekin are adorable. And my hubby likes Swedish. And Appleyards seem fantastic. Ahhhhhh!
:barnie

I would prefer ducks who don't fly. They will be in a fenced area (about 1/4 acre in area) shared with my chickens, but they'll have their own wing of the chicken house (pardon the pun).

Advice? I'm leaning towards Runners for cuteness, but I've heard they can be really standoffish. I don't need them to be my best friends, but I need to be able to handle them to care for them.

TIA!

(I'm so excited!!!!)
You should get Khaki Campbell they are excellent egg layers, mine lay a egg each day. Also, they don't fly really high.

I have puppy pads. I use those when I brood chicks. Hmm... maybe I'll try both at one time or another.

When we moved our fridge we found pine shavings from our last brood of chicks!!!

Oh, and btw...

17 DAYS.
You know how to take pictures and videos with your phone and how to upload those?!
Because we all are addicted to ducklings!
1611361329659.png

Back
Top Bottom