What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
See, now I'm going the OPPOSITE route. I'm going to play completely clueless. "Gee, honey. I heard they did that sometimes with chicks, but I didn't think it would happen with ducks because they don't get as cold. Hmmm... they don't mention it on the website... Maybe it was a mistake...."
😉
Well they do mention they will give you an extra duck, just ignore the fact that is it only on orders of 10 or more.

Any certification can be looked at for standards. USDA Organic means no pesticides or chemical fertilizers.
Nice to have choices. Things that I have noticed with organics is better taste, longer lasting during storage, and cores, such as celery, tend to grow rather than rot when I throw them into my worm compost bin.
If you're not finding similarities, I guess that it's not worth paying more for. The book 'Diet for a Poison Planet was a real eye opener for me.
If you're interested, do a search on how produce grown in composted soil needs less pesticides than those grown using pure chemicals.
Makes sense to me; healthy plants, just like healthy animals, don't need pesticides, antibiotics etc. They automatically resist disease.
Are organic oreos worth the extra money? Dunno, I wouldn't eat them if they were free. 😝
Don't get me started on this! The food industry is both a blessing and a curse! Some of their products make us sick but without industrial food production ½ of all the people on the world would starve… Look up High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) and what it does to your body…

Did you ever say what breeds you ordered?
@Aunt Angus said,
"Just to update: I ordered a fawn and white Runner, a black Swedish, a Welsh Harlequin, and a Saxony.
I told my hubby I was going to get three, so as far as he'll know, Metzer threw in the Saxony as a "packing peanut."
;)
23 days until they ship, but who's counting??? "

Don't get me started on this! The food industry is both a blessing and a curse! Some of their products make us sick but without industrial food production ½ of all the people on the world would starve… Look up High Fructose Corn Syrup (HFCS) and what it does to your body…
I only eat organic corn syrup. 😉

There are the things that are obvious and the things that get buried by labels and slogans.

Do a search for 'The secret ingredient in your orange juice'

Should land you over at Food Renegade.

According to 'Modern Farmer' online, transporting grain to feed animals is unnecessary since the advent of modern irrigation. A typical field has on average forty species of plants that are more than suitable for raising livestock. This is why I buy European cheese; it's pasture raised milk, because it's more economical to pasture raise animals when you don't have huge corn subsidies.
Same member warehouse that buy my cheese at always has a great supply of organic produce.

I truly believe that the budget most people spend on prepared foods could easily be divided amongst healthy foods, with beans and rice filling any gaps between a full belly and healthy meat and vegetable choices.

But, back on topic; my Runners have chewed all the dandelions down to nubs! Hopefully they can recover come springtime or maybe I will have to build guards around them so that they can recover.
NEVER thought that I would want a yard with more ducks and slugs.

Maybe I'll get the ham into the smoker today. It's had about a 20 day cure, so it should be ready. Next, a couple duck eggs would sure be welcome. 👍🏾

I only eat organic corn syrup. 😉

There are the things that are obvious and the things that get buried by labels and slogans.

Do a search for 'The secret ingredient in your orange juice'

Should land you over at Food Renegade.

According to 'Modern Farmer' online, transporting grain to feed animals is unnecessary since the advent of modern irrigation. A typical field has on average forty species of plants that are more than suitable for raising livestock. This is why I buy European cheese; it's pasture raised milk, because it's more economical to pasture raise animals when you don't have huge corn subsidies.
Same member warehouse that buy my cheese at always has a great supply of organic produce.

I truly believe that the budget most people spend on prepared foods could easily be divided amongst healthy foods, with beans and rice filling any gaps between a full belly and healthy meat and vegetable choices.

But, back on topic; my Runners have chewed all the dandelions down to nubs! Hopefully they can recover come springtime or maybe I will have to build guards around them so that they can recover.
NEVER thought that I would want a yard with more ducks and slugs.

Maybe I'll get the ham into the smoker today. It's had about a 20 day cure, so it should be ready. Next, a couple duck eggs would sure be welcome. 👍🏾
I am flattened! I didn't not know that the flavour of »natural« orange juice is artificial! But that explains the brand-taste. I assume it is the same with all juices. Apart from my black-tea i mostly drink sparkling water mixed with apple-juice: ⅓ juice and ⅔ water. No soda's at all and that alone has helped me to loose over 40lbs since 2014.

Yeah - the dandelions! My ducks are crazy for the flowers, the leaves and even dig up the roots! I do my best to spread the seeds around as much as i can, but there's never enough of it.

Back
Top Bottom