What Breed Should I Get?

Pics
I will keep them inside. I just read all of these duckling brooder horror stories. I'm fully expecting stink and mess. It's the rest of the household I worry about! I don't think they are prepared.
I raised my first ones in a big storage bin in the corner of my room I just got some very strong scented wax cubes and they actually made the overall smell in the room not that bad

So the ducklings you get from the hatchery are likely going to be skittish so if I were you I’d keep them inside and spend a lot of time with them so they’re nice and cuddly❤️ And they are a lot of fun as little babies. I find ducklings soo much more cuddly than chicks like I had my ducklings snuggle with me for 4 hours while watching a movie but chicks like to go after like 5 minutes so it’s fun to keep them inside and enjoy the time with them🙂🥰
And when I had my first ducks (3 of them) they were sooooo messy. But that’s because I had a dog dish that was completely open and they swam in it and made it really gross. So my second set of duckies I used like a chick waterer and it kept it dryish for like 3 days. And then let them swim in a dish on a cement floor so you can have ducks without as big of a mess 🦆

So the ducklings you get from the hatchery are likely going to be skittish so if I were you I’d keep them inside and spend a lot of time with them so they’re nice and cuddly❤ And they are a lot of fun as little babies. I find ducklings soo much more cuddly than chicks like I had my ducklings snuggle with me for 4 hours while watching a movie but chicks like to go after like 5 minutes so it’s fun to keep them inside and enjoy the time with them🙂🥰
And when I had my first ducks (3 of them) they were sooooo messy. But that’s because I had a dog dish that was completely open and they swam in it and made it really gross. So my second set of duckies I used like a chick waterer and it kept it dryish for like 3 days. And then let them swim in a dish on a cement floor so you can have ducks without as big of a mess 🦆
I'm getting a big tote thing tomorrow. I'm going to try using a pan with a rack over it I've seen in a few videos and articles. Thd idea is that the pan catches water and food mess. I have a chick waterer and feeder I think will work at first. And I'm modifying my MHP for ducks.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR CUTE DUCKIES.

TEN. MORE. DAYS.

I took one of those chick feeders and used it for water. They can stick their head in, but can't swim in it. Works for like a week or 2. I like containers with holes on the top for as they get bigger. Some people use milk jugs. It helps a lot with the water mess.

I haven't tried the grate yet, but have wanted to. If they have a tray to catch water under the water they splash that water on to the bedding. So a grate should help. I really want to try that with my next batch.

Also keep the water and food at opposite ends. It stops the food from turning into a soupy mess. I made that mistake the first time. It also reduces the amount of food in the water.

I took one of those chick feeders and used it for water. They can stick their head in, but can't swim in it. Works for like a week or 2. I like containers with holes on the top for as they get bigger. Some people use milk jugs. It helps a lot with the water mess.

I haven't tried the grate yet, but have wanted to. If they have a tray to catch water under the water they splash that water on to the bedding. So a grate should help. I really want to try that with my next batch.

Also keep the water and food at opposite ends. It stops the food from turning into a soupy mess. I made that mistake the first time. It also reduces the amount of food in the water.
Good info! So the feed and water don't have to be near one another? Good to know. I was kinda worried they would end up choking if I kept them too far apart.

What kind of chick waterer do you use?

And when you use containers with holes on top, do you need to weigh them down? I'm picturing them toppling it and making a huge mess.

Sorry if my questions seem like they should have obvious answers. I have so much to learn, and everything I've read kind of overlooks these details.

Last edited:
I'm getting a big tote thing tomorrow. I'm going to try using a pan with a rack over it I've seen in a few videos and articles. Thd idea is that the pan catches water and food mess. I have a chick waterer and feeder I think will work at first. And I'm modifying my MHP for ducks.

I CANNOT WAIT FOR CUTE DUCKIES.

TEN. MORE. DAYS.
I bought these broiler pans for ducks water. You can re purpose them down the road. I found that having two was handy.
20210128_142300.jpg

I will keep them inside. I just read all of these duckling brooder horror stories. I'm fully expecting stink and mess. It's the rest of the household I worry about! I don't think they are prepared.

My brooder never got overly stinky or messy, I think giving them a larger space to begin with helps with that. I used those plastic cube shelves to build out their space and just snapped more on when it was time to expand. Started with a layer of horse stall pellets, then a thick layer of pine shavings, and like others have said kept the water bowls on top of cooling rack and sheet cake pan. After a couple of weeks, the large sour cream containers with a hole cut out ontop big enough for them to stick their heads in worked great for their water. Any messes got covered up with more pine shavings and I put a Tupperware on top of the heat plate to discourage them from laying up there.

Also, incense is amazing for covering up bad smells 😬

The food and water don't need to be right next to each other. You can start them closer if you want and move it apart. They learn to really quickly where the food and water are.

I have had them tip over the water a couple times, but that was mostly when they got bigger. The water holds it down most of the time. If they can tip it over, they need a bigger one at that point.

I start with the chick feeders from TSC -https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/little-giant-plastic-1-quart-feeder-base . I took a juice jug and cut it up and put it in the file in the center to make it into an automatic waterer.

I did the same thing as @3xhhheather . I expanded the brooder over time with cube shelves. And it sucks way more with straw than shavings. Shavings are so the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom