What breed should I go with?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Hopefulloflove, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    I had pretty much decided on Black Australorps, because I have been told they are great layers and are friendly and docile, however I was told by someone else that they do NOT make good pets..My situation is that I am really wanting the best of both worlds, friendly pets, but good layers also. If you were looking for those two characteristics, and had children, which breed would you go with?

Thanks in Advance!
    Kate

2. DvanderSlik

DvanderSlik Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    I'd say Brahmas! They're quiet, docile and great layers! Plus they have fleathered feet... need I say more LOL!

3. Frost Homestead

Frost Homestead eggmonger

Jul 9, 2011
    Lago Vista, TX
    I might be biased, but I would get easter eggers. they're so sweet and lay colorful eggs

4. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:its difficult to have both traits at the same time, you will end up with normal layers and normal pets....

leghorns are about the best layers, but dont make good pets...

cochins are good pets but are not production type layers....

if I had to choose I´d go with Orpintons...

5. Hopefulloflove

Hopefulloflove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Benson, NC
    I forgot to mention, I do want to be able to sell some eggs also....

6. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Kate!

How great that you know what your objectives are.

--- Consider some of the hybrids too. I have a 'gold sex-link' aka a Golden Comet. she is so friendly, so docile and so tame! she is the most like a pet of my 3. I really endorse these hybrids...they are amazing.

Other choices are 'black sex-link' also called Black Star, and among other hybrids for eggs are red sex-link known by a couple of names, among them Red Star. The hybrids are awesome layers, and easy keepers. I have also heard a lot of good things about Easter Eggers. They are not know to be as frequent layers, but their eggs will be an unusual color.

You can get a couple of different chickens if you have capacity - and include one of the Australorps for egg laying. But for your goals of pet + egg layer, I'd vote for Golden Comet!

Good luck with your selection for your flock.

7. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:I forgot about them...

The ones I rescued were very very friendly, I guess being handle all the time by humans can make them friendly..... they are about the best egg layers...

8. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011
  9. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    I have no personal experience with Australorps, but almost everything I've heard about them has been that they do make good pets. One of the local chicken people near me has one and she's a very friendly and personable chicken.

Anyway, for other breeds there are going to be tons of suggestions. Orpingtons are supposed to be good pets and decent layers. We almost got them when we were originally planning on keeping only one breed but didn't because the hatchery didn't have them available at the same time as some of the other breeds we wanted. My speckled sussex are very friendly, in the way, kind of birds and are hardly bothered by my almost two year old. However, mine are not cuddly lap birds if that's what you're looking for. And mine are not the awesomest egg layers. They both lay every day to every other day, but their eggs are generally medium sized, with only a few getting up to the 2oz large size.

I do adore my Easter Eggers. However, I am very conflicted about recommending them because I have had some issues. We ordered 4, received 5, and kept 3. As chicks they were pretty flighty, not really all that friendly by most standards. Once they reached point of lay however they have become more friendly. They are extremely tolerant of my toddler, to a fault in fact. Of my 3, only one of them hasn't let my son pick them up and carry them awkwardly around the yard. One of my EE's was the first to start laying and two of them are among my top 3 layers, laying almost every day. And their eggs are usually med-large with more of them being large than medium and about once every two weeks an extra large or two from them. However, of the 3 we kept only one of them does not have an issue. One we kept because of her deformity, she has a cross beak and because we weren't sure if she would be able to eat enough to survive I felt that I couldn't just pass the problem on to someone else. She does all right, but she is definitely smaller than all the other chickens and because she needs a deep "dish" of food to be able to eat at all I have to accept that there will be a lot of feed loss as she and the other birds spill feed on the ground while eating. Plus, while her eggs are a beautiful shade of green and solidly in the med-large size range her yolks are a very pale yellow because she is unable to eat any of the greens that the other chickens get. The second one has no apparent physical abnormalities, but is a total dud when it comes to eggs. We have 7 chickens, but I always say that this one doesn't count. She is the least reliable of my layers, sometimes going a week or more between eggs. And when she does lay her eggs are shell-less as often as not. When her eggs do have a shell to them, it is paper thin and will crack if it so much as touches another egg in the nest box or if someone gets in the nest after it is laid to lay her own egg. And on a regular basis I have seen her lay two eggs, an egg covered in a second membrane and albumin (almost like it was trying to be an egg within an egg), and even "siamese" eggs. I'm also not convinced she isn't an internal layer too. She's very friendly, and an excellent forager. But I'm seriously thinking about culling her this fall rather than continuing to "waste" feed on a chicken that isn't producing and waiting for her to become egg bound.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by