What breed should I make?

The base color would be lavender. Solid lavender itself is black with the recessive lavender gene, and mottling is also recessive, so it would take a couple generations. However, it would be easier to breed than lavender jubilee.

Sort of. Instead of lavender on black, it would be lavender on red (jubilee is red with mottling). Lavender jubilee could also be called porcelain I believe.
Ok, so I may start with a Lavender Mottled orp.
Who would be the mom and dad of F1?

The base color would be lavender. Solid lavender itself is black with the recessive lavender gene, and mottling is also recessive, so it would take a couple generations. However, it would be easier to breed than lavender jubilee.

Sort of. Instead of lavender on black, it would be lavender on red (jubilee is red with mottling). Lavender jubilee could also be called porcelain I believe.
The difference between lavender mottled and lavender jubilee orps would be pretty much the same as the difference between lavender mottled and porcelain d’uccles.

Lavender mottled:
DC5EA708-9AC9-47DB-BC05-E02EAC3390EC.jpeg

Porcelain (aka lavender mille fleur):
4384540D-A462-433B-A4D8-EF04BBABCAAC.jpeg
(not my pictures)

Ok, so I may start with a Lavender Mottled orp.
Who would be the mom and dad of F1?
Lavender x jubilee. Doesn’t matter which is the father and which is the mother. The F1 offspring would be black with red leakage, carrying one recessive mottling gene and one recessive lavender gene (two of each are needed to get lavender mottled).

Lavender x jubilee. Doesn’t matter which is the father and which is the mother. The F1 offspring would be black with red leakage, carrying one recessive mottling gene and one recessive lavender gene (two of each are needed to get lavender mottled).
Sounds beginner enough! :lol: Thank you so much for your help. When the lavender starts laying eggs I’ll let you know!

This has sparked some thoughts in my brain.
jubilee is red with mottling
I have a Jubilee Orp pullet. Does that mean she is red with a recessive gene for mottling? (I just want to be sure I understand this correctly.) My only male is a Buff Orp. What would that cross make?

OP, not trying to derail your thread; color genetics are fascinating to me, and I hope you keep posting about your project!

I have a Jubilee Orp pullet. Does that mean she is red with a recessive gene for mottling? (I just want to be sure I understand this correctly.) My only male is a Buff Orp. What would that cross make?

OP, not trying to derail your thread; color genetics are fascinating to me, and I hope you keep posting about your project!
Yes, she’s red (columbian) with two recessive mottling genes. You would get solid colored chicks that are some shade between red and buff. They would carry recessive mottling.

That’s ok!!

I am a TOTAL beginner. I know almost nothing about genetics, so I want a nice learning project for myself. If anyone has any ideas on a new chicken breed I could make, I’d love to here them. It will be probably 6 months - a year before I can get started because most of chickens don’t lay yet, but in that time I can do as much research as I can!

Here are the breeds I have:
Blue Laced Red Wyandottes 3 months, 5 months. ( male and females)
Splash laced red wyandotte 3 months (male)
Blue Cochins 5 months (male and female)
Splash Cochins 4 weeks ( male and female)
Blue silkies 4 weeks, 5 months ( male and female)
White silkie 4?5? months (female)
Splash silkie 6 months ( female)
Dark Brahmas 4 weeks (unknown)
Black Cooper Marans 3 months (female)
Welsummer x EE 3 months (female)
Lavender Orpington 3 months (females)
Lakenvelder 4 1/2 months (male and female)
Black Orpington 4 months (male)
Blue egg laying EE 3 years (female)
Green egg laying EE 2 years (female)
Black Astralorp? Black Sex link? 8 years (female)
White Leghorn 8 years (female)
Jubilee Orpington 4 months ( male)

I’m expecting to get:
EE <3 years (male)
Lavender Orpington <3 months (male)
Black Copper Maran <3 months (male)
Splash laced red Wyandotte (female)
Jubilee Orpington (female)

@MysteryChicken
@RoostersAreAwesome
@NatJ
@LadiesAndJane

The ideas I like:
Blue laced white orps

Please be harsh. Thank you!
Thanks for the tag! 😊 Sounds like a fun project, I love color genetics too. Looks like the experts have already chimed in and I can’t wait to see what you make of it. The lavender mottled sounds like a great idea!
If you need to bring in birds from a different bloodline at some point I know Carolina Rare Chicks carries the lavender mottled variety in the English Orpingtons.
Good luck with your project!😊

Back
Top Bottom