what breed to choose?

I
love.gif
the Pea comb it gets cold here & I have had combs freeze & toes get black & fall off!
I
love.gif
my Brahmas cold doesn't bother them at all!!!

A lot depends on the strain so, if you are ordering from a hatchery read the description of their breeds carefully! They will tell you who lays well (lays in winter) or who is the friendliest!

If you are buying from a breeder they will answer your questions!

Joanne

Thanks everyone for replying. My main prerequisites are cold hardy, good layer, and friendly. I have 3 boys 11,8, and 11 months, so I want chickens that will be friendly towards them. I am leaning toward RIR and EE, but it is a very hard decision!!!

I have a Turken roo supersweet. Not sure on egg color though?? They should make the winter good.

I would have to agree on small pea combs they do the winters MUCH better here in PA.

My only other commet is that the full size birds are better than bantams.

D.gif

Stay away from the RIR unless you get them from a breeder. Hatchery birds are production and you just can not predict what type of temperment you will get with them. EE are much better for hatchery temperments. But do some reading on BYC about both so you can make a wie choise that yopu will not regret later.

Another breed Known for its sweet temperment is the Speckled Sussex. You will not go wrong with them.

Wyandottes could be a suggestion. I gather they were developed for colder climes in northern states of USA. They are reasonable layers of brown eggs; very friendly, if familiarised with humans & come in lots of very pretty colours.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom