What breed to focus on for hatching?

Powellcole5490

In the Brooder
Mar 12, 2016
Edgewood, New Mexico
So I'm still very new to this game, but I think me and my wife want to increase the size of our flock from 8 hens to maybe around 12-15 with one (or two maybe) being a rooster. I'd like to try and breed some chickens and hatch baby chicks at some point in the future, but I am uncertain as to which breed of chicken I should attempt.

I currently have two orpingtons, two Plymouth barred rocks, a black sex link, and three Easter Eggers and they are all female...apparently. So if I were to attempt at breeding chickens, what breed would you recommend? One of the breeds I currently have or a completely different breed? I intend to probably sell off any chicks that would hatch so I'd like to get a breed that is popular and maybe not as easily available at the local feed store.

This is more of a person project for me rather than a money making opportunity. I just want to prove to myself that I can do it and be able to sell the chicks once they hatch...(maybe, I might just keep them but my wife doesn't need to know that part).

Coleman

Easter Egger types will always be popular simply because of the egg coloring. Feed store selection is probably regional, here we get orpingtons, cornish x, sexlinks, and occasional bantams. In our local sales papers, I see a lot of easter eggers for sale by individuals maybe because they aren't available commercially here, but also because of the colored egg basket factor.

If it were me, I'd look into them or (because they may be my favorite breed of chicken) the barred rocks..

Try breeding orpingtons, as they are very popular and and would be easily sold as chicks. I think they may be rated in the top 5 or better. If you wanted to breed something exotic. I myself would go with these 2. Seramas, and Ayam cemani . They would bring in a higher $ return. With so many different breeds of chickens, everyone will have different favorites.
WISHING YOU BEST and
welcome-byc.gif

Try breeding orpingtons, as they are very popular and and would be easily sold as chicks. I think they may be rated in the top 5 or better. If you wanted to breed something exotic. I myself would go with these 2. Seramas, and Ayam cemani . They would bring in a higher $ return. With so many different breeds of chickens, everyone will have different favorites.
WISHING YOU BEST and
welcome-byc.gif

I've really really considered breeding my two Buff Orpingtons. One is my favorite and she is so sweet, but since I got her from a feed store I figured they were pretty abundant and therefore maybe not as sought out. I will have to look into some of those other breeds. I haven't even heard of them before... Thanks!!!

Coleman

Easter Egger types will always be popular simply because of the egg coloring. Feed store selection is probably regional, here we get orpingtons, cornish x, sexlinks, and occasional bantams. In our local sales papers, I see a lot of easter eggers for sale by individuals maybe because they aren't available commercially here, but also because of the colored egg basket factor.

If it were me, I'd look into them or (because they may be my favorite breed of chicken) the barred rocks..

This is how I was originally leaning as well. Because the egg color, I figured EE would be pretty popular plus I haven't seen them much in the stores. Thanks!!!

Back
Top Bottom