What Breed to get

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by nemassis, Jun 26, 2015.

1. nemassis

nemassis Out Of The Brooder

May 27, 2015
    Thanks for the info folks. Got lots to find and look at.
    The problem i have is suppliers in my area so my choice is limited as i am trying to avoid transporting them to far. I think I will make a list of all your suggestions and trawl the interweb and papers and see what i can find.

[​IMG]

Going to have a look at some second hand coops on Tuesday with intention to either purchase or steal design ideas. Strangely excited [​IMG]

2. Living4birds

Living4birds Out Of The Brooder

May 18, 2015
    Silkies are remarkably cute and friendly. I would recommend them for beginning chicken owners. Salmon favorells are also good

3. nemassis

May 27, 2015
    What sort of age should i be looking for. Is there any benefit from getting chicks and raising them or is it just as good getting some that are a bit older?????

4. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Since you're wanted really tame birds I would recommend getting chicks. The younger the birds are that you get, the easier they are to tame. There is a good article at http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...-run-away-whenever-they-see-me-Can-I-H57.aspx on how to tame your chickens.

5. nemassis

May 27, 2015
    Niceone thanks for that, Just had a quick read and sounds good. Will have another read later.
    I read quite a bit about training them with treats which seems logical, so really the younger they are the better it will be in the long run

[​IMG]

6. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Yes, younger chicks are easier to tame than older birds, and remember, the way to a chicken's heart is through its stomach. :eek:)

7. cluckcluckluke

cluckcluckluke Overrun With Chickens

Agreeing with most people hear.
    I wouldn't go for the RIR's as they can be fairly rough not only to humans but to your other flock members.

You should choose what size bird you want first. Unless you are getting a larger flock where you can have multiple bantams and multiple standard size chickens otherwise then the standards are likely to bully the bantams.

Two standard breeds that I think fit the bill for you are Orpingtons and Wyandottes. Both breeds are placid and friendly. They are also very soft, come in a wide range of colours and are very Winter hardy which should be good for living in the UK.
    Wyandottes are a very 'fancy' coloured breed and you can get lacing in almost every colour you'd like.
    With you being in the UK you can get CHOCOLATE Orpingtons! Lovely big chocolate brown birds.

Two bantams that you may like are Pekins and Silkies.
    Again, with Pekins you can find pretty much every colour you'd ever want in them, they are small and very tame.
    Silkies are also colourful and are pretty much the choice of chicken for anyone who wants them as pets. The only downfall to bantams (well as I see it) is that they are almost always broody. My Frizzle bantam has only every laid like 10 eggs in her 3 years of life and the rest has been spent sitting on everyone else's eggs.
    You could try Frizzles another bantam breed. You can also get these in standard size. They add a whole other dimension of chicken to the table.

Heres a picture of my Frizzle, Cornflakes and some of her offspring.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  8. nemassis

May 27, 2015
    Orpingtons were where i started my journey to be honest. I saw a few Buff Orpingtons and they were huge lol kinda stopped looking at them after that......
    Has anyone had any experience with ex battery hens? I understand they may not be as easy going as others but i figured they may appreciate it?

Last edited: Jun 27, 2015
  9. GitaBooks

GitaBooks Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jun 23, 2015
    USA
    Those were amazing pictures, Cluckcluckluke! [​IMG]

10. nemassis

May 27, 2015
    The second picture down.
    She was born for the camera

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by