What Breed to pick?

My personal top ranks for high egg producing, friendly, dual purpose, and broody breeds.

Egg production:
Leghorns

Friendly:
Cochins

Dual Purpose:
Barred Rocks

Broody:
Silkies

I am fairly new to the chicken scene, many decades removed…I just received my first flock at the start of April of 6 different breeds & the breed I thought would win my heart is the least interactive with me, so I say get what your heart desires you will have fun no matter what color or shape. I am in Oklahoma so I tried to stick with heat hardy, and being new I stuck with docile not good fliers, although other breeds that flew and where more independent were what I would’ve gotten if had done zero research. Personally, I ordered from MPC, and received exactly what I ordered 14 chicks sexed correctly with one Roo. I was a little amazed that they got it spot on! I have never had children, but I can see if you have a family this is going to be a great adventure for you all. Happy chicken ranching to you.

I am fairly new to the chicken scene, many decades removed…I just received my first flock at the start of April of 6 different breeds & the breed I thought would win my heart is the least interactive with me, so I say get what your heart desires you will have fun no matter what color or shape. I am in Oklahoma so I tried to stick with heat hardy, and being new I stuck with docile not good fliers, although other breeds that flew and where more independent were what I would’ve gotten if had done zero research. Personally, I ordered from MPC, and received exactly what I ordered 14 chicks sexed correctly with one Roo. I was a little amazed that they got it spot on! I have never had children, but I can see if you have a family this is going to be a great adventure for you all. Happy chicken ranching to you.
sounds like you are having a blast!
I need to grab my 'child' and show him how to do the chicks, in case I can't take care of them. He is 24, so not so much excitement over chicks, and I think he has not yet registered that there will be fresh eggs down the road.
On the other hand, Hubby bought a camera to watch 'his' chick, the lone Rhode Island Red. That was from a straight run, so I only got one, keeping fingers crossed it's not a roo.
The store had barred rocks and Amaricanas, so I have 2 each of those.
They are feathering out right now, fluttering about their brooder and getting little feathered tails! :lau

Now I need to get busy and build my coop (the prefab was a bust, and the store was out of one I had eyeballed. Maybe check with them again, if more came in. I am currently not up to snuff on DIY)

So, after my dreadful disaster I have been thinking a lot about what I can improve (and considering getting a roo - erm, better not)

I had 6 little ISA Brown chicks and I liked them a lot for the short week they lived with me. I am considering that the store might not have any going into summer, and their source only ships in increments of 10. I think 6 is pushing it for a family of three.

So I looked at another source and they ship smaller numbers. I should be able to work around my idiosyncracies about having 5 chicks vs 6 but they don't carry ISA chicks. Now, seeing that I have no clue about how the chicks could have turned out, I am kind of stuck on them. I don't care if the eggs are brown or purple, and there is more than one tan/brown kind of chicken. Plus I won't enter any shows (yet, anyhow)

So, instruct this noob chicken owner wannabe: What is a good breed for a first-timer wanting some fresh eggs?
If a hatchery states their chicks are 'not docile' is that a nice way of saying the beasts will be opinionated? Or if a hatchery in Texas states 'not particularly heat tolerant' should I avoid them here in the hot and humid South-east?

This week has been busy, so I have not been able to make the improvements on my confinement, plus another couple dozen ideas popped into my head like a multiball pinball game with fireworks (A scary discovery I am making about myself lately)

or should I get myself a nice surprise basket of chicks, guessing what I have, and explore from there?
Amberlinks they are a hybrid and lay lots plus super friendly

Disaster? 😢

Go Ahead, Pick the Prettiest Chickens!

More seriously, here in the Steamy Southeast, the birds that do best in the heat are the clean-legged, lighter-weight birds with large, single combs.

In my flock the California White and the Australorps have done best so far.

Brahmas are weirdly heat-tolerant up to a point, but my Wyandotte seems to suffer more than the rest of the flock (I'm worried about my son's pet Cochin in her first summer as an adult).
I second about the Wyandottes and Brahmas . My Wyandottes actually did the worst out of my flock in the Cold and also the worst in the heat. My Brahmas do fine in both hot and cold weather.

Back
Top Bottom