What Breed to pick?

Pics
okies...not sure if my egg farm is born under a lucky star. 4 of the chicks had dirty bums of varying degrees, so warm water and vegetable oil to the rescue. I might still have to do some cleaning, but the vents are clear.
And the RIR looks like it is wanting to grow a comb already (so is one of the other chicks. I might be the only person in history to get all roos from a sexed batch of chicks)
I took pictures but couldn't get a clear one of either issue. Keep your fingers crossed for me.
I might just dig a pond and get ducks!

Last edited:
And who was wondering why hatcheries did not offer a selection for hot weather chicks?
I found one (and did not bookmark) on my search for brown leghorns because those roosters are the 'classic' picture bool cock, all copper, green and shiny!
That is maybe something to ask the other hatcheries as apropos.
So far day 2 of Chickadoo 2.0 was uneventful.

After I got home from a doctor's appointment for naught, I braved the weather to turn the light on for the chickadoos (I was not going to swim across the yard in the driving rain to wake them up)
of course, yesterday it was hot and stuffy, today between 68 and 77 degrees
I doubted myself if the brooder was on (it was) and the chicks hid underneath as if it was the big comforter in bed. Can't say that I blame them, it would have been my preferred place this morning as well.

And who was wondering why hatcheries did not offer a selection for hot weather chicks?
I found one (and did not bookmark) on my search for brown leghorns because those roosters are the 'classic' picture bool cock, all copper, green and shiny!
That is maybe something to ask the other hatcheries as apropos.
So far day 2 of Chickadoo 2.0 was uneventful.

After I got home from a doctor's appointment for naught, I braved the weather to turn the light on for the chickadoos (I was not going to swim across the yard in the driving rain to wake them up)
of course, yesterday it was hot and stuffy, today between 68 and 77 degrees
I doubted myself if the brooder was on (it was) and the chicks hid underneath as if it was the big comforter in bed. Can't say that I blame them, it would have been my preferred place this morning as well.

It would be helpful for people who are starting out or even people who just like to have assortments rather than picking specific breeds.

plus their minimum was 3 birds!

I like to, when they have the the breeds I want, to get my chicks from Ideal, which has a monetary minimum ($30, IIRC), rather than a chick number minimum. Also, they have the most reasonable small-order fee I've seen.

If you want 25 birds in sets of 5 per breed then Welp's prices are reasonable and they have free shipping.

Last year I actually made up lists of orders for 5 different hatcheries and got the total costs and the per bird cost to help me make up my mind what to order.

I like to, when they have the the breeds I want, to get my chicks from Ideal, which has a monetary minimum ($30, IIRC), rather than a chick number minimum. Also, they have the most reasonable small-order fee I've seen.

If you want 25 birds in sets of 5 per breed then Welp's prices are reasonable and they have free shipping.

Last year I actually made up lists of orders for 5 different hatcheries and got the total costs and the per bird cost to help me make up my mind what to order.
that would be definitely 3 flocks....and I would not be sure the neighbors would not hide from the crazy chicken lady!

that would be definitely 3 flocks....and I would not be sure the neighbors would not hide from the crazy chicken lady!

I was joking with a member of the D&D group about how if I could get enough egg cartons (I give people eggs but they don't give the cartons back!), I'd be sticking eggs into people's mailboxes like the proverbial zucchini!

I was joking with a member of the D&D group about how if I could get enough egg cartons (I give people eggs but they don't give the cartons back!), I'd be sticking eggs into people's mailboxes like the proverbial zucchini!
with my luck they are on vacation for 3 weeks and find a box of stink bombs upon return....

Back
Top Bottom