What Breed to pick?

Pics
So, after my dreadful disaster I have been thinking a lot about what I can improve (and considering getting a roo - erm, better not)

I had 6 little ISA Brown chicks and I liked them a lot for the short week they lived with me. I am considering that the store might not have any going into summer, and their source only ships in increments of 10. I think 6 is pushing it for a family of three.

So I looked at another source and they ship smaller numbers. I should be able to work around my idiosyncracies about having 5 chicks vs 6 but they don't carry ISA chicks. Now, seeing that I have no clue about how the chicks could have turned out, I am kind of stuck on them. I don't care if the eggs are brown or purple, and there is more than one tan/brown kind of chicken. Plus I won't enter any shows (yet, anyhow)

So, instruct this noob chicken owner wannabe: What is a good breed for a first-timer wanting some fresh eggs?
If a hatchery states their chicks are 'not docile' is that a nice way of saying the beasts will be opinionated? Or if a hatchery in Texas states 'not particularly heat tolerant' should I avoid them here in the hot and humid South-east?

This week has been busy, so I have not been able to make the improvements on my confinement, plus another couple dozen ideas popped into my head like a multiball pinball game with fireworks (A scary discovery I am making about myself lately)

or should I get myself a nice surprise basket of chicks, guessing what I have, and explore from there?
I have buff orps and australorps . Good with hot or cold. Very docile. Lots of eggs.

So, after my dreadful disaster I have been thinking a lot about what I can improve (and considering getting a roo - erm, better not)

I had 6 little ISA Brown chicks and I liked them a lot for the short week they lived with me. I am considering that the store might not have any going into summer, and their source only ships in increments of 10. I think 6 is pushing it for a family of three.

So I looked at another source and they ship smaller numbers. I should be able to work around my idiosyncracies about having 5 chicks vs 6 but they don't carry ISA chicks. Now, seeing that I have no clue about how the chicks could have turned out, I am kind of stuck on them. I don't care if the eggs are brown or purple, and there is more than one tan/brown kind of chicken. Plus I won't enter any shows (yet, anyhow)

So, instruct this noob chicken owner wannabe: What is a good breed for a first-timer wanting some fresh eggs?
If a hatchery states their chicks are 'not docile' is that a nice way of saying the beasts will be opinionated? Or if a hatchery in Texas states 'not particularly heat tolerant' should I avoid them here in the hot and humid South-east?

This week has been busy, so I have not been able to make the improvements on my confinement, plus another couple dozen ideas popped into my head like a multiball pinball game with fireworks (A scary discovery I am making about myself lately)

or should I get myself a nice surprise basket of chicks, guessing what I have, and explore from there?
I also like to have a good mix of girls that lay different colors. We live in an area that needs heat tolerant and cold hearty. I also wanted friendly breeds that weren’t overly vocal. My favorite girls have been my black australorp, starlight green egger, sapphire gem, and Easter eggers. None have really gone broody, they all tolerate confinement well, they are all also friendly and will allow people to pick them up. They also lay 5+ eggs a week and even laid during winter. My least favorite and least dependable egg layer has been my brown leghorn. She is also more flighty than the other girls. I have many other breeds that are only 3-6 weeks old, so we shall see how they end up ranking come late this year.

Blue Andalusian's are clean legged, heat tolerant, hardy, and a heritage breed. They prefer ranging in the yard. White medium to large eggs x3 a week. McMurray Hatchery in DesMoine has them. Very pretty Blue. Black, splash

Attachments

• 20220528_091531.jpg
    20220528_091531.jpg
    293.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220528_091549.jpg
    20220528_091549.jpg
    293.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220528_091925.jpg
    20220528_091925.jpg
    433 KB · Views: 3
Oh, so far so good. This is what? week 2? All 5 still present and accounted for. I raised the brooder plate up one notch, as it is getting hot again and they seem to be hanging out on top rather than underneath. I just wonder if I should give them a box to hide under when I take the brooder out.
Tomorrow I will go and buy non-medicated feed and start the transition.
And add other stuff, like a pan of dirt and greens. They have gotten some grit, which will also go into a bowl or feeder (I still have some from my budgies)
I am looking at dog kennels right now, so I can put them outside a little at a time while it is getting hot during the day
(into the play coop, inside the dog kennel)

I'm sorry for your loss.

If you are mentally capable of doing it, I like to get twice as many chicks as I actually want, pick the ones I like best, then sell the others are started or Point-of-Lay pullets.
This is my method:

get twice as many as you intended, keep them all, multiply, repeat.

Honestly, my first brooder was a watermelon bin from the grocery store. I called 2 stores and the second said I could have one! Free & it folded to fit in my car.

View attachment 3130404

Edited to add, you could probably remove the bottom and throw some netting over the top if you wanted to use it outside!
they just put the melons out when I started looking. I was a shade early. I might be able to ask the other store, but they are lower volume.
I rednecked the version, with a bunch of boxes from Amazon.
Had to re-rig it post disaster, and now I am not taking chances, looking at chainlink kennels to provide a buffer around the chicks.
And I see a lot that send you the pipes and the fence roll - if I wanted that, I'd grab that at the store.
And I am not sure how to get a 16 foot cattle panel to the house!

This is my method:

get twice as many as you intended, keep them all, multiply, repeat.
Like I said: Backyard flock, Left Side Yard, Right Sideyard.
I think I would try quail in the left sideyard, and ask the neighbors if they can roam their strip of wilderness.....throw in a pair of pheasants? (it's Suburbia in the country)

Back
Top Bottom