What breed would you recommend? I was thinking about karst sheperd

I sometimes see here and there few Scotch Collies, there are some breeders. I have yet to see an English Sheperd, probably it's not even bred here.

About the dog living with the chickens...
Since the chickens will not be where I live, I'd like to take the dog there everyday as I feed, water and spend time with the flock. If needed I'd like to have the possibility to leave the dog there during the day to check on the chickens (if there's a daytime predator danger) and it will come home with me for the night (I'll build predator proof coops and runs, but I'd prefer to let roam the chickens and I can't make all the property predator proof, unfortunately). Then, as I said, as soon as I'll return home I'll spend the time with the dog (as I already do with the dog I already have).
As you said, I was worried about the dog chasing the chickens or not doing anything if a predator get in (yes, I know a person who has 3 dogs, all shepherds of different breeds, they like to watch at the fox chasing and killing the chickens without doing anything)
The land is not very big, like half acre or less. Here you can't anyways have more than 49 chickens for family productions, so that will big enough for themthem (they now have half that area and we still have to mow the lawn)

Yes, I got that. English it's not my main language and was the first time I saw that word, so I did't knew other similar words that may be more adequate😂😂 I'm sorry

Yes, I like them a lot but I also know they are a very demanding breed. I know I'm away for a bit long, but I need to work if I want to afford my animals😅
I want as much as possible the physical and mental health for my animals, so if I'm not able to support all the needs of a breed, I won't get it
I think that might be a bit small for a full time LGD as they like to roam so I’d probably look more into a pet breed maybe although none of them would really be able
To be left alone with out a lot of training. And that’s smart and kind of you that you’re considering the needs first because far too many people just get what they want without considering the animal’s needs.

A livestock guardian dog protects what he is bonded to. I don't know if a dog can or will bond to chickens. Something to consider.

I think that might be a bit small for a full time LGD as they like to roam so I’d probably look more into a pet breed maybe although none of them would really be able
To be left alone with out a lot of training. And that’s smart and kind of you that you’re considering the needs first because far too many people just get what they want without considering the animal’s needs.
Thank you for your advice.
I know it can take a lot of time to teach a dog these things. It took me 2 years to teach my dog to not escape from the garden. Even if fenced she liked to take advantage of any chance to escape from the neighbours gate (two houses in the same garden and we couldn't put a fence in between).
Now she's perfect. She can be left outside without supervision, she will never escape even with the gates open, she will never hurt a chicken (she's a bit worried to be near them though, except the bantams, they all are bigger than her😂), but she will protect all the chickens and chase every stranger that could be a danger to the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom