What breed???

1mama32

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2017
can anybody tell me what kind of birds these are? They are 2 weeks old tomorrow.
20170523_232558.jpg
20170523_232338.jpg

The black one is either a jersey giant, a black star, or possibly black australorp. When the chick was younger did it have white spots on its head/or white underside? If there's white spots on the head it's probably a black star. If white underside probably australorp (or another large fowl black.) If solid black, probably a Jersey.

The red one looks like something that has partridge lacing. Normally I'd say that it's a low quality buckeye chick, but it has a single comb (buckeyes have pea combs.) Could even be a low quality rhode island red (though haven't seen them as chicks.)
Perhaps a variation of the red star?

It is a bit early to really tell. I recommend reposting once they have all their feathers.

The black one is either a jersey giant, a black star, or possibly black australorp. When the chick was younger did it have white spots on its head/or white underside? If there's white spots on the head it's probably a black star. If white underside probably australorp (or another large fowl black.) If solid black, probably a Jersey.

The red one looks like something that has partridge lacing. Normally I'd say that it's a low quality buckeye chick, but it has a single comb (buckeyes have pea combs.) Could even be a low quality rhode island red (though haven't seen them as chicks.)
Perhaps a variation of the red star?

It is a bit early to really tell. I recommend reposting once they have all their feathers.
Thank you so much for all this great info! This is our first time hatching chicks and we got a variety of different eggs so we have no clue what they could be. The black one had white on the tips of its wings and has a whitish belly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom