What Breed?

Bologna Xpress

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 10, 2009
Would you all advise for a beginer? Looking for egg layers with good personalities. I would prefer an older or heirloom breed. My wife and I were thinking RIR OR Old English game or both. What are your thoughts ?

Thanks

Scott

I love both breeds, but the OEG are more flighty and not as calm as the RIR.
smile.png

Rhode Island Reds or Whites are great egg layers, Plymouth Rocks (white or Barred) are also good layers and a heritage type breed. I have Orpingtons and they have been laying in the negative 10 degree weather, and they are nice.

Leghorns are good layers too, just not so friendly.

Wyandottes, I believe are also good layers.

Pick a breed you likes the look of!
GREAT website:
http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html
Good luck!
Christina

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. I think its gonna be RIRs, but like I told my wife "who knows what I will come home with"
big_smile.png

I would opt for Barred Rocks or Orps as RIR's tend to be somewhat aggressive as a rule. The rocks will lay just as well and be far more laid back in temperment. IMO

any "rocks" barred rocks, buff rocks, partrige rocks.... etc..
orrpingtons,, RIR,, even cochins

for first timers i would stay away from.. leghorns and OEG

Ya know my Black Australorps might be tough on other chickens but they're good with me now and they lay like super troopers. I only have the two but I get two eggs a day, now in winter, and some days I get three in 36 hours.

I love my Rocks, they also lay and are more gentle with me and each other than the BA's. But it's kind of hard to top two chickens who about two days a week lay 3 in 36 and two the other days of the week. When Bear isn't helping with the 3 in 36 she will pop out double yolkers with some frequency, Nenna just lays and lays and lays. I think they're freaks of nature. But I'm happy about it.

I do not like RIR--basically mean to the other birds and not friendly to people. Rocks are very personable. Brahmas are also very nice. I don't care for orpingtons--too standoffish.

My OEG are much calmer and nicer than my dad's RIR are. If it were me, I would go with the OEG. I have been around way too many RIR roos that would like to take a hunk out of me!

Thanks everyone. After reading here and chating with some other local people I think I have changed my mind. Pretty sure its gonna be Barred Rocks.

Back
Top Bottom