What breed?!

KMoKoop

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2022
I picked up a couple chicks from a local person that claims they are 10 days old and from the "rare breed" mix at Hoover's Hatchery.
They are definitely older than 10 days as they are larger than and more feathered than my almost 3-week olds. And i'm thinking that they don't fit any of the listed breeds from the rare breed options.
So... what breed do you think and would you day they are both cockerels??

Attachments

• 20230531_171424.jpg
    20230531_171424.jpg
    699.7 KB · Views: 26
I picked up a couple chicks from a local person that claims they are 10 days old and from the "rare breed" mix at Hoover's Hatchery.
They are definitely older than 10 days as they are larger than and more feathered than my almost 3-week olds. And i'm thinking that they don't fit any of the listed breeds from the rare breed options.
So... what breed do you think and would you day they are both cockerels??
They look like Silver Laced Wyandottes. Too young to know their sex.

They could be 10 days. I just brooded a pair, I was suspecting I might have a cockerel, but now at 6 weeks I think they probably are pullets. Wyandottes just tend to redden up sooner, and their combs look different, so people don't know what to think. 🤷

Yep silver laced Wyandotte and too early.

It is safe to say they are either both a cockerel or both a pullet, which will make the gender ID ultimately more difficult.
I've seen so many differences in the lightness or darkness of the feathering depending on where they were bred. Mine grew up being very white where I've seen on here dark ones that were also female. It wasn't until 11 weeks old when everyone changed their guesses to female from a definitely male status. Lol

I've seen so many differences in the lightness or darkness of the feathering depending on where they were bred. Mine grew up being very white where I've seen on here dark ones that were also female. It wasn't until 11 weeks old when everyone changed their guesses to female from a definitely male status. Lol
Oh boy. Here I am, at six weeks, I figured I was in the clear lol

Back
Top Bottom