What breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sammers, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Sammers

Sammers New Egg

Mar 25, 2007
    HI all! I am very new to raising chickens....actually, I'm raising them by accident, but I have no idea what breed this is and need your help. I live in Pensacola, Florida, and we have had farrell chickens that roam our neighborhood for the last 5 years or so. They bother no one, and everyone saves their 'scraps' breads and stuff like that to feed them. Anyway, we love having them around but on Friday afternoon we saw a hen get run over by a car, and she had seven chicks that all still had egg tooths. (teeth) and I couldn't just let them die, so I'm raising the remaining six. I need help identifying their breed though, so any information you could give me will be very helpful.

Thank you.

Video of the rooster for these chicks...
    [​IMG]

Here's one of the chicks
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm in no position to say with any certainty what kind of chick that is (though it looks like my Americauna chicks), but I have to say that rooster is GORGEOUS!! [​IMG]
    And thank you so much for posting that video -having never had roosters around I've never seen the feeding behavior people have described. It's really neat to see! [​IMG]

3. thechickenfarmer

thechickenfarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Connecticut
    Hi,
    Those chicks are really cute! We were just talking about the "key west" wild chickens in another post. I don't know much about them but if you google image them there is a picture of your rooster. I don't know enough about them to know if they are a breed or just mixed. Take a look. [​IMG] Jen

http://z.about.com/d/honeymoons/1/0/I/X/10eSBrooster3.jpg

4. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    Hi, Your chicks look exactly like mine. I have OEGB-Old English Game Birds. Here is a link to all the Old English types. If you look at the chicks on the upper right hand corner, they look identical to yours.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/oldenglishgamepage.html

I think after looking at the pics you can almost say they would be OEGB's.

Hope this helps!

5. mudhen

mudhen confidently clueless

Jan 15, 2007
    Shepherdstown, WV
    I'm of no great help here except to offer an opinion that the chicks look a lot like my ameraucana chicks did at that age.
    The rooster is beautiful![​IMG]
    Best of luck with raising the cute peeps!

6. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    It does look like an OEG, but not the Bantam size. I have nothing to compare the roosters size to, so I may be wrong, but it just looks too large.

7. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    The chick does look like several of my Ameraucanas as well. The roo is lovely. Looks almost 'too perfect' to be an Ameraucana though? Perhaps a 'wild strain' of the breed? I'd be interested in seeing these chicks as they feather out. Good luck with your biddies! Keep us posted! They grow quickly! [​IMG]

8. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    Definately Old English Gamebirds. My black breasted red oeg chicks all usually come striped like this. OEG blood has been added to alot of other breeds to increase health and hardiness and I have always wondered if that was the case with the ameraucanas since the majority of them that I have seen come colored in the various shades represented by the OEG. They are fun birds to raise and are about the best free range chickens to have. They can and will, as your story accounts, take care of themselves out in the wild. I would only caution that once you have taken in chicks and raised them, you will probably be hooked and soon you will be filling your yard with chickens of all sorts like the rest of us fanciers do...LOL.

Good luck w/ the peeps...

9. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Hi, I totally agree with #4, they look like old english to me! I also want to commend you on adopting those babies. That's so nice to hear. I think it's nice that your neighborhood enjoys the chickens but I wish someone would build a pen for them so that they may stay safe from another being hit by a car. It would be great if everyone could contribute and build a nice giant pen and everyone can still come see them and feed them. Just a thought. Good luck with your new babies [​IMG] Julie
    P.S. that roost is drop dead gorgeous!!

10. chickens^^

chickens^^ Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2007
    West Virginia
    The rooster is most likely a Rhode Island Red. I have one that looks exactly like it. The chicks might be partridge or buff cochins.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by