1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

what breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ccshambhala, Sep 30, 2012.

1. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

it is quite possible she is a mix - I might have thought she were pure ancona but for her legs.... which distinctly resemble my houdans.... (sorry she is sideways lol - I wish there was an easy option to fix that!)

2. fuzziecreatures

fuzziecreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't know but she is beautiful!

3. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    thanx fuzziecreatures! we think so too (love the mottled chickens!)

4. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

i just got some houdans .. mottled houdans me and axoa are the only ones here in canada NB who have them they are really pretty and for that breed there i have no clue lol

5. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    I <3 LOVE <3 the houdans farmer boy - I follow the houdan thread and will be posting there soon again about mine... we lost our two houdans from last year - and I incubated a batch of eggs hoping to get some houdan crosses right after my roo from last year died. I got new houdans this year (2 roos came straight run from the feed store (Ideal?)) and 3 pullets ordered as pullets thru another feed store from Mcmurray) but the quality doesn't even seem to be as good as last years [​IMG] there are some beautiful houdans in the houdan thread - will have to find a way to get some....

6. farmer boy

farmer boy Chillin' With My Peeps

i will try to find the houdan thread

7. Ralph Moyer

Ralph Moyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    NW Cherokee County Kansas
    It may be part Mottled Java . Mottled Java usually are larger and more white feathers. Mottled java doe have black on their legs.

8. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Look like a "hatchery" type Ancona.
    If she had Houdan in her she would show signs of the V-Comb and a bit of the Crest, might even have the fifth toe.

Chris

9. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    mottled ancona

10. ccshambhala

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    thanx all....

Chris09 - all of my hatchery anconas have yellow legs - is the color of hers a recessive trait that can come back after a generation? one or two of the random hatch did have a v-comb (altho clearly she did not) is the v-comb a dominant trait? only 1 out of 21 that hatched had a crest :( .... i love learning genetics!!! thanx much! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by