What Breed???

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Simmsy 2012, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Simmsy 2012

Simmsy 2012 New Egg

Jul 30, 2012
    Western New York
    [​IMG]
    My son brought a baby chick home from school last May, it was the largest chick hatched and all black. This is what she looks like now at 6 months old...any idea what breed? We thought at first a Barred Rock or Plymoth Rock but she seems alot lighter in color. Any ideas?

2. ray24

ray24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2012
    Texas
    maybe a barred rock mix. Im not sure though

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Not any breed. Sometimes, with these mixes, one is never entirely sure what the make up is. Some barring is shown, but the Barred Rock isn't the only barred bird. Whatever else may be in it will likely never be known. Sorry.

4. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    that looks like a bsl roo

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  5. Smoochie

Smoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2012
    CANADA
    are you sure it is a she? Looks like a Black Sex-link cockerel.

6. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

OP said the bird was 6 months now... I think it'd be crowing.... but it sure does look like some saddle and hackle feathers going on there... Maybe its androgynous.

7. Pele

Pele Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2011
    Boise
    Black SL roo, you can see hackle feathers (they look like he's wearing a spikey collar). Some roos are just slow to mature.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Mixed breed rooster. Some guys are just slower to crow, but those feathers tell the tail........er, tale!

9. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Dont they though! I have two faverolle boys who have just hit the rotten teen years, and they've yet to crow! They're doing everything else, not crowing! AND no, it isn't cuz they are low totem roos. They're free range and the only ones they fight with are each other. The head roo doesn't even bother with them. Maybe I got lucky, and they won't crow!

10. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    very unique, almost looks cuckoo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by