What Breed?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by LittleBits, Oct 14, 2014.

1. LittleBits

LittleBits Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2013
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    We bought these (4) gals in August and wondering if anyone knows what kind they are?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks for your help!

2. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They all appear to be Easter Eggers.

3. abserbean

abserbean Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2013
    Florida
    x2 all EEs, very pretty girls!

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    All of them look like Easter Eggers.

5. LittleBits

Apr 18, 2013
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Thank you everyone - do all EEs lay green eggs? Because only one of these does; the other ones have very pale brown eggs - that is if that same green egg is coming from the same hen! But I do know for sure we've gotten the pale brown ones, too.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Without getting into the semantics of what defines an Easter egger, I'm going to say your girls probably have some parent who was a hatchery Easter egger, and a parent who was maybe a buff Orpington. The beards and dark legs (oh, and the colored egg [​IMG] ) show the EE heritage. The larger, rounder bodies and fluffy, loose feathering spell Orpington to me. The combs I can see aren't true pea combs, but look similar to what I've got when crossing a pea combed and a straight combed bird, some weird modified pea comb. I think someone here once called it a noodle comb--that seems fitting somehow [​IMG]. Anyway, that's why some lay green and some brown, cause they're mixed.

They're a beautiful group of hens!

1 person likes this.
  7. LittleBits

Apr 18, 2013
    Kentucky
    My Coop
    Thank you! Guess I'll call them EEs if anyone else asks me!

8. crazyfeathers

crazyfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2013
    Auburndale, Wi
    I was also going to say EE - Buff Orphintons mix. I love those speckles.

9. Rafter H Farms

Rafter H Farms Out Of The Brooder

Oct 11, 2014
    Northwest Montana
    I tend to concur with others before me that your lovely girls do have EE in their family tree but somehow the train of thought that they are also part Buff Orpington does not feel right. I say this because of those beautiful speckles along the base of their hackle feathers. If at least some of them had feathers on their legs to go along with the fluffy rump I would say possibly EE x Buff Brahma or Buff Columbian Cochin but without the leg feathering I am guessing possibly EE x Basque Hen ???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by