What Breed?

Thank you everyone - do all EEs lay green eggs? Because only one of these does; the other ones have very pale brown eggs - that is if that same green egg is coming from the same hen! But I do know for sure we've gotten the pale brown ones, too.

Without getting into the semantics of what defines an Easter egger, I'm going to say your girls probably have some parent who was a hatchery Easter egger, and a parent who was maybe a buff Orpington. The beards and dark legs (oh, and the colored egg
wink.png
) show the EE heritage. The larger, rounder bodies and fluffy, loose feathering spell Orpington to me. The combs I can see aren't true pea combs, but look similar to what I've got when crossing a pea combed and a straight combed bird, some weird modified pea comb. I think someone here once called it a noodle comb--that seems fitting somehow
smile.png
. Anyway, that's why some lay green and some brown, cause they're mixed.

They're a beautiful group of hens!

Without getting into the semantics of what defines an Easter egger, I'm going to say your girls probably have some parent who was a hatchery Easter egger, and a parent who was maybe a buff Orpington. The beards and dark legs (oh, and the colored egg
wink.png
) show the EE heritage. The larger, rounder bodies and fluffy, loose feathering spell Orpington to me. The combs I can see aren't true pea combs, but look similar to what I've got when crossing a pea combed and a straight combed bird, some weird modified pea comb. I think someone here once called it a noodle comb--that seems fitting somehow
smile.png
. Anyway, that's why some lay green and some brown, cause they're mixed.

They're a beautiful group of hens!
Thank you! Guess I'll call them EEs if anyone else asks me!

I tend to concur with others before me that your lovely girls do have EE in their family tree but somehow the train of thought that they are also part Buff Orpington does not feel right. I say this because of those beautiful speckles along the base of their hackle feathers. If at least some of them had feathers on their legs to go along with the fluffy rump I would say possibly EE x Buff Brahma or Buff Columbian Cochin but without the leg feathering I am guessing possibly EE x Basque Hen ???

Back
Top Bottom