What Breeds are my rescued Hens?

malkered

Chirping
May 16, 2015
Brighton, United Kingdom

These are Arrietta and Bess, Arrietta (foreground) was rescued from a makeshift 4ft x 4ft coop which was covered with a tarpaulin so she rarely saw daylight. she was being kept in these conditions by a tenant in a house I maintain. I called Animal Welfare who found not only the hen but 40 quail packed onto two mesh shelves above her. Needless to say that the animal welfare shut him down and consequently I adopted Arrietta and three quail. I therefore have no idea of her age nor what exact breed she is.
She came to us reasonably well fed but covered with Quail s**t a bit bedraggled and slightly mad. She laid one egg the day after we got her and none since but she has moulted a fair bit, cleaned herself up, and calmed down and is a lovely, calm, clean girl and a pleasure to have.

Bess is an Amber Hybrid, bought from a reputable farm, she is 20 weeks old and just started laying. Arrietta and her get on really well and were sharing a perch the day after being introduced.

This is Velma (and the back end of Daphne). She was rescued with Daphne from an egg farm who was about to send their 14000 hens for slaughter as they were reaching 18 months old. They have a fair amount of feather damage but appear healthy otherwise.
I have no idea what breed they are and also would like to know whether the feather damage will stay or whether they will moult and recover from it.

i would say they are Lohman Brown :) they will clean up and look lovely, I have four of these lovely ladies, they are very friendly and are good at laying!
big_smile.png

Thank you! One of them is bullying the red hen (other pic) but I'm hoping we can sort that.

They kept laying from the moment they arrived.
they should find there pecking order pretty quick, its fab they are still laying cause they can sometimes stop, I have heard sometimes pecking other chickens can be down to low in protein, so might be worth looking in to that as well :) and yes they are Lohman Browns here in the UK, they are normally the most use kind of breed for egg farms

Back
Top Bottom