What breeds are the best winter laying chickens?

I'm in north-central PA. I do give some supplemental light on a timer, keeping them at 14 hours all winter.

After 2 years of chicken keeping, I have found the Barred Rocks and Buff Orpingtons lay fairly steadily all year, with the exception of the molting period.

My Easter Eggers (which may actually be pure Ameracaunas) take a break in Dec. and Jan, but start laying about Feb 1 all the way past Thanksgiving. They generally wait to molt until the snow flies (crazy birds!).

The GL Wyandottes and Tetra Tints lay sporadically through the winter.

The Wellsummer's are long-day layers only, running March through October on average.

This is a handy chart to reference. Look for the birds with snowflakes in the egg column. http://www.sagehenfarmlodi.com/chooks/chooks.html

For us who don't know the abbreviations are will you please spell it out for us? The only one I got was RIR is Rhode island Red

BO - Buff Orpington
EE - Easter Egger
BR - Barred Rock
FBCM - French Black Copper Marans
BS or BSL - Black sex links
RS or RSL - Red sex links
BA - Black Austalorp
GLW - Gold Laced Wyandotte
SLW - Silver Laces Wyandotte

My Light Brahma is now 11 months old and has been giving us 4-5 eggs a week. I thought it was our golden laced Wyandotte, but two days ago started getting another egg in the nesting box and decided it was the Wyandotte's eggs that started being produced again. So, it must have been our Brahma that has been laying all winter thus far. I don't add extra lighting. Since Chickens only have so many eggs they can lay in their life (each chicken has a certain amount of undeveloped eggs in their bodies), I want to prolong their egg laying life, before I have to learn to butcher and boil them. :(

Back
Top Bottom