1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

What breeds are the best winter laying chickens?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by harleyjo, Nov 11, 2010.

1. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    I may sound like a broken record on this but my sex links--Black and Red Stars never missed a day due to cold weather. EE's and BR's have been good for me but the BS and RS have been the best.

2. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Chanteclers
    I have a few Partridge but the original color is white. I have heard a few people are trying to breed for pure black.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Black Sex links. laying machines.

ETA: My FBCMarans are really good layers too.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
  4. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    How many of you are breeding your own replacements on the Sex Links or do you buy them whenever you need replacements?

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Quote:Sex links do not breed true. Generally they are purchased because someone wants to be sure their chicks are all pullets and then replaced with new purchases. Most sex link males are used for meaties or euthanized shortly after hatch. Buy sex links in straight run would kind of defeat the reason for having them in the first place.

6. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    We took Moxie in to the vet today, for her annual check up, and somehow we got talking about chickens. Evidently, our vet has chickens too. When I told him what breeds we had, he mentioned that black Australorps are known as being good winter layers.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  7. harleyjo

harleyjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2010
    SW Iowa
    That is one thing I had learned in my short time in chickens. I had planned on getting a RIR male and then females of Barred Rocks for the BSL, and a Delaware female for the RSL. I just wondered how many others did it that way or buy them each time. I love my BSL. I am still planning my flock and trying to make sure I have good winter layers as part of my plan.

Quote:Sex links do not breed true. Generally they are purchased because someone wants to be sure their chicks are all pullets and then replaced with new purchases. Most sex link males are used for meaties or euthanized shortly after hatch. Buy sex links in straight run would kind of defeat the reason for having them in the first place.

8. blondiebee181

blondiebee181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2012
    Boise, ID
    Do they have to have light in the winter in order to lay? Like during the night?

9. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    I can only vouch for the australorp, dominique, and rock.

10. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My EE's and RIR were the strongest all winter, but I keep a heater in my coop all winter and cover the run in plastic. It stayed pretty warm in there all year round.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by