What breeds are these three chicks?

twoacresofhappy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Mar 18, 2013
Georgia, USA
We bought seven straight run chicks from a local feed store. The owner had ordered a few specific "rare" breeds, but was told the hatchery didn't have them in the amounts she requested, so she told them to send what they had - she meant for them to send as many as they had, and instead, they sent her a bunch of different breeds.

Of the seven we bought, we don't know three of them. I'd welcome your opinions on their breed and, if possible, their gender.

She thought this one was a Phoenix. It looked like a chipmunk when it was little. It also looks a bit like a roo, doesn't it?

She had no idea what this one is, but I can tell you it's always been skittish. It looked like a wee fawn when we first got it, with cute little white spots all over. My daughter named it "Bambi". It has huge wings, and still dislikes being held. Any idea on breed or gender?

These last two are the same breed, but I don't know what that is, either. The first one's comb is...interesting, yes? A roo, maybe? It's also the larger of the two.

The other three chicks we got were mottled houdans and a cochin. We're afraid the cochin is a roo, too, but he's sweet so far, so maybe we can keep him. :)

And here are corresponding baby pictures to the above:

This one corresponds to "Bambi", in the second photo above:

And this one, to the first:

Both of the latter two chicks looked like the chick seen here in the foreground (that's Bambi again in the background).

The first one looks like a Welsummer. If it's a Welsummer I can almost guarantee it's a female (I can tell from the markings). I don't know about the other three.

Rooster, pullet, rooster, pullet. But I really have no idea on breeds! All I can think is that maybe the second one is an Egyptian Fayoumi. The last two look almost like rose comb exchequer leghorn chicks (since I assume they are clean legged). They're all standard size, right?

Thanks, HeartMoss Farm! I think you might be right about the Egyptian Fayoumi! I can't find a chick pic that matches the other two in the breed you guessed, but I'll look more carefully. Appreciate it!

Thanks, HeartMoss Farm! I think you might be right about the Egyptian Fayoumi! I can't find a chick pic that matches the other two in the breed you guessed, but I'll look more carefully. Appreciate it!

I can't find any evidence that they've actually developed a rose comb version of the Exchequer, but I'll keep searching. The single comb varieties look a lot like your babies (there's a baby photo here and here). Are they frizzled at all? Now I want to solve the mystery of the black and white chickens!

I can't find any evidence that they've actually developed a rose comb version of the Exchequer, but I'll keep searching. The single comb varieties look a lot like your babies (there's a baby photo here and here). Are they frizzled at all? Now I want to solve the mystery of the black and white chickens!

I don't think they're frizzled. Someone on another site suggested ancona for them, but I don't think that matches their coloration. I'm so curious as to what they are, though!

I don't think they're frizzled. Someone on another site suggested ancona for them, but I don't think that matches their coloration. I'm so curious as to what they are, though!

From what I've seen, Anconas and other mottled breeds are much darker in coloration than your birds, which is why Exchequer seemed to make sense as they are a light bird with black mottling, especially light when they come from a hatchery. And they do throw rose combs every now and then. I know that hatcheries specifically sell a rose comb version of Brown leghorns, but have never seen them sell rose comb Exchequers as a singular variety. I could see one of the chicks being a rose comb just by accident, but to have two of them in one batch is odd...

Maybe they're some rarer breed I'm not thinking of!

Back
Top Bottom