What breeds are these?

Guajiro

Hatching
Jun 12, 2020
Hi guys I'm new to chickens. I have two ladies in my flock right now. One I believe to be a black australorp who is super friendly and comes when I call her so I can pick her up the other I'm not sure of the breed and she was just given to me from someone's farm. She was lacking nutrition her first egg at my house was soft indicating a lack of calcium but I'm taking good care of her now that she's mine. Can you guys verify I have a black australorp and tell me what the other one is. Thanks y'all

Attachments

• 20200608_195617.jpg
    20200608_195617.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG-20200611-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20200611-WA0004.jpg
    284.2 KB · Views: 10
Can you guys verify I have a black australorp and tell me what the other one is.
Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

She looks like a black Australorp. The other... either a sex link of some type or a barnyard cross perhaps. Most likely a production bird. :confused:

They de-beaked her quite heavily. Consider looking into filing down the lower beak to match.. or at least ensure she can eat fine, not feeding on the ground but maybe a deeper dish.

She was lacking nutrition her first egg at my house was soft indicating a lack of calcium
First eggs being soft is NOT a sign of nutrient deficit... it's a sign that the reproductive system is getting up and going and working out it's kinks. A hen will sacrifice their own calcium to their detriment if needed to make solid eggs as furthering their genetics is their main purpose in life.

In fact, that girl is NOT laying yet according to her comb color she is not yet mature enough and will be several weeks minimum. I would suspect the soft egg came from the black bird.

This is my assessment according to my experience. :)

Both are lovely birds! :pop

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

She looks like a black Australorp. The other... either a sex link of some type or a barnyard cross perhaps. Most likely a production bird. :confused:

They de-beaked her quite heavily. Consider looking into filing down the lower beak to match.. or at least ensure she can eat fine, not feeding on the ground but maybe a deeper dish.

First eggs being soft is NOT a sign of nutrient deficit... it's a sign that the reproductive system is getting up and going and working out it's kinks. A hen will sacrifice their own calcium to their detriment if needed to make solid eggs as furthering their genetics is their main purpose in life.

In fact, that girl is NOT laying yet according to her comb color she is not yet mature enough and will be several weeks minimum. I would suspect the soft egg came from the black bird.

This is my assessment according to my experience. :)

Both are lovely birds! :pop
Thanks for your reply I am 100%that the soft egg was from "rusty" my orange bird. The black australorp lays brown firm eggs the soft egg was like pinkish speckled with red spots all over.

Back
Top Bottom