What breeds do you feel are absolute necessities?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by safarichick101, Jan 1, 2010.

1. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Okay, so I'm fixing to make a new order(s) of chickens (and turkeys!).

I only have 3 acres to work with and neighbors and the park is behind our hous with neighbors in all other directions. I wanted to breed bourbon red turkeys but I wanted to order some more chickens without having to worry about getting a ton of roosters. I do plan to show in the future but that order will probably be seperate.

What do you think of ideal and my pet chicken? What about Porter's rare heritage turkeys?

I already have a faverolle and a orpington as well as 2 barred rocks, a silver laced wyandotte, 2 "ameraucanas", and some silkie mixes.

We plan to get more silkies since ours were lost to predators and we love them. [​IMG] But what others should we get?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

If you plan on showing in the future you'd be better off to find some breeders with the breeds you want. The odds of getting a show quality chicken from a hatchery are not very good.

As far as what kind you should get that all depends on what look you're partial to. I happen to like big fluffy chickens so that's what I've got.

3. safarichick101

safarichick101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    College Station TX
    Well we live in humid east texas. And i'm very partial to big fluffy chickens.

4. domino7

domino7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2009
    N.E. Ohio
    I love my cochins. You can get some very nice ones from several BYC members. They're pretty fluffy, and easy going too.

5. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    I'd say easter eggers are important, if only for the interesting colored eggs and feathers. People usually get them by mistake but I think they're more important than theyre given credit for. Austrolorps too. 4 BAs can give you 2 dozen big eggs a week, and they dont go broody I dont think.

6. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Overrun With Chickens

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    It all depends on what you like. Big and fluffy describes good Orpingtons and Cochins, or the Large Fowl Brahmas. Year round and consistent layers have been Black Australorps, Plymouth Rocks in various colors, Delawares. I have silkies, sizzles and seramas for bantams and love them. Oh and a few bantam cochins - nifty. If I had to pick two sets, It would be the Delawares and the Sizzles. It's all a matter of preference. I also love blue black and splash Rocks.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    I can narrow it down to two breeds. My Rhode Island Red's and Barred Rocks..
    With the Red's and some selective breeding I can get New Hamshires and Production Reds.
    By crossing the Red rooster with a Barred Rock hen I can get black Sex-Linked.

Chris

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Barred Plymouth Rocks, hands down. Much as I adore my Delawares, BRs will always top my list.

9. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    i dont have barred plymouth rocks...yet, but i wish i had some. Also SILKIES!!

10. easttxchick

easttxchick Lone Star Call Ducks

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I live in humid East Texas as well!
    I LOVE my Barred Rocks(matter of fact, I added a few more to my flock recently). If nothing else, get them for the sheer enjoyment of their awesome personalities(and mine are great layers as well).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by